PDA

View Full Version : On board video failure

newboy
20th August 2007, 12:12 PM
I had a working Fedora 2 setup, until it seems the onboard video on my K7VEMpro mobo failed.
I have installed a MSI pci card, but xorg fails when booting, reporting the Trident problem and presumably not correctly recognising the new card.
I'm new to all this, but understand that I should be able to resolve matters by editing the Xorg file.
Can anyone explain (simply!) how the file should be edited - do I simply remove all references to the Trident hardware?
What should I insert for the MSI card?

Thanks for any help

leigh123linux
20th August 2007, 12:35 PM
Disable the internal card in your mobo bios or select AGP as the main card

newboy
20th August 2007, 12:56 PM
There is no way to disable the on board video in bios. I did try setting AGP as the main card, but this gave a totally blank screen when booting (not surprising as there is no AGP card installed).
By the way, I assume the onboard video has failed because the system no longer boots into the graphical interface- it does however display text up to the point of trying to load Xwindow

leigh123linux
20th August 2007, 01:34 PM
There is no way to disable the on board video in bios. I did try setting AGP as the main card, but this gave a totally blank screen when booting (not surprising as there is no AGP card installed).
By the way, I assume the onboard video has failed because the system no longer boots into the graphical interface- it does however display text up to the point of trying to load Xwindow

Sorry select PCI for the card instead

also try pressing

Ctrl + Alt + F1

login as root then edit xorg.conf

nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf

and change the driver in the device section to " vesa " save the change and reboot