PDA

View Full Version : Configuring modem

sumukh1984
20th August 2007, 11:35 AM
i m trying to configure a dial up connection.
but getting a error . the error number is 8
i have given my modem as /tty/s0.
can anybody help me?

zenarcher
20th August 2007, 11:50 AM
You might want to mention what you are using for a a dial-up modem.

Cheers,
zenarcher

sumukh1984
20th August 2007, 12:02 PM
ya i m using a dial-up modem.
so can u help me out?

markkuk
20th August 2007, 01:00 PM
What kind of dial-up modem? External/internal? Brand name and type? What program are you trying to use to set up the connection?

PabloTwo
20th August 2007, 09:26 PM
i have given my modem as /tty/s0.

Try /dev/ttyS0

Paul

sumukh1984
22nd August 2007, 01:14 PM
i have tried that too.
but still cant connect .
what does error 8 specify while connecting?

sumukh1984
22nd August 2007, 01:15 PM
hey zenarcher u have any solution

sumukh1984
22nd August 2007, 01:17 PM
it is a D-Link external modem. i m using system-config-network tool

PabloTwo
22nd August 2007, 02:03 PM
You haven't mentioned how your external modem connects to your computer. An old fashioned serial (com port) connection? Not likely, as modern computers don't even come with external com ports these days. An ethernet connection? A USB connection? This makes a difference as to which /dev/tty???? the modem gets attatched to.

I don't know what error 8 is indicating, or even if that's coming from the modem, or the operating system. In a terminal, issue the command lspci -v and see if the modem shows up in the list.

Also, try dialing out, then right after that, also in a terminal window, issue the command tail -35 /var/logs/messages and see what shows up there. On a working modem, the messages log will show the whole dialup sequence as it happens. There may be some clues as to what's happening, or not happening, in there.

Paul

zenarcher
22nd August 2007, 07:32 PM
I don't have a solution. Sorry, but I haven't used a dial-up modem in many year, nor have I played around with one for about the same time. I just thought someone here might have a better chance of helping you, if you provided some details about the hardware and all that you are trying to use. Then, I see that some after my post, clarified that you needed to let people know specifically which dial-up modem and such you were trying to use.

Cheers,
zenarcher

DreadPirateRoby
23rd August 2007, 07:52 AM
Like others have said, how your modem connects to your computer determines what it gets labeled as. If it's using a usb cable (fairly small with no pins) then It will be at something like /dev/ttyUSB0. If it uses a serial cable (fairly large with pins) then it will be at /dev/ttys0,1,2 etc.

The gnome (at least I think it's part of generic gnome) network manager in fedora is better than others I've used, but you may want to try installing gnome-ppp. You can get it from here (http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/idpl/4547480/com/gnome-ppp-0.3.23-3.fc6.i386.rpm.html) and install it by opening a terminal and typing "rpm -i" followed by the file name.

Edit: The page I linked to is for the 32-bit pc "version". If your using 64-bit fedora or running in it on an old mac, don't get gnome-ppp from that page.

gala_dragos
23rd August 2007, 08:07 AM
somebody is screaming for a modem setup here http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?p=851770#post851770

DreadPirateRoby
23rd August 2007, 08:38 AM
I didn't see this thread before I made mine and even if I did I wouldn't have asked for help here as I don't know that his problems are my problems since he's not even sure what port to find his at.

I have found gnome-ppp easier to handle in the past when using other distros and just suggested that he may might want to give it a try.

and I'm not "screaming" for anything.

sumukh1984
28th August 2007, 11:51 AM
my modem is an external one . accessing through a serial port.
name of the modem : D-Link DFM-560ES