PDA

View Full Version : wine problems

Fittersman
20th August 2007, 09:05 AM
everytime i try to use wine i get this error message:

[cleippi@Christopher-PC Desktop]$ wine Install_Messenger_nous.exe
Warning: the specified Windows directory L"c:\\windows" is not accessible.
Warning: the specified System directory L"c:\\windows\\system32" is not accessible.
Warning: could not find DOS drive for current working directory '/home/cleippi/Desktop', starting in the Windows directory.
wine: could not load L"c:\\windows\\system32\\Install_Messenger_nous.exe": Module not found

why is it doing that? how do i get around it?

Fittersman
20th August 2007, 09:37 AM
o, nevermind figured out that i need to run it as root to make that work

and, does anyone know how to get it to think its running windows xp (or greater)? because msn live messenger wont install without it

fengshaun
20th August 2007, 06:29 PM
I have the same issue. I need windows XP but it just simulates windows 9x series. Maybe there will an update soon.
you can request an update for windows XP simulator in http://www.winehq.org

good luck.

Fittersman
20th August 2007, 09:01 PM
how do you request for that? i couldnt find anything that had to do with windows xp on that site

Dangermouse
20th August 2007, 09:31 PM
Hello instead of trying to get windows messenger running why dont you give the linux version a try its a clone of msn messenger
su
yum install amsn -y

Dangermouse
20th August 2007, 09:33 PM
Sorry i should of added that when you want to run windows programs that require networking (netframework etc)
i always use mono not wine

http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page

Fittersman
20th August 2007, 09:48 PM
i like the windows live messenger, im not really a fan of pidgin or amsn, but ill use em if i cant get the windows one working.

fengshaun
21st August 2007, 04:26 PM
I mean add your application here:
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application_queue&sTitle=Submit+Application&sAction=add
login and add your application and they will do something for it. Specially if it's really not available through wine, they will work on it

good luck

fengshaun
22nd August 2007, 12:38 AM
I FOUND IT I FOUND IT I FOUND IT
just go to Applications > Wine > Wine configuration
in this windows go to Applications tab and at the bottom you see a button that says windows version:
in the right side of it, click and choose your version of windows you want. It also has Windows Vista if you need it ;)

and thank you for asking this question. Made me look for it and finally found it.

Fittersman
22nd August 2007, 12:48 AM
no problem :) but mine doesnt have that option...

i think there is something wrong with my installation, i cant get nothin workin (well unrar and this)

fengshaun
22nd August 2007, 12:52 AM
what do you mean yours doesn't have. reinstall it. Though it might not be from your installation, just try it.

fengshaun
22nd August 2007, 12:52 AM
when you open wine configuration, it must say which version of windows you want!!!

fengshaun
22nd August 2007, 12:53 AM
reinstall it.

Fittersman
22nd August 2007, 12:55 AM
i dont have wine configuration is what i meant, but its not really that big a deal (i think it might be becaue it was meant for the 32bit version and i have it ported to work on the 64 bit versoin)

gala_dragos
22nd August 2007, 06:54 AM
look in the "lost and found" submenu of start menu.

Fittersman
22nd August 2007, 08:33 AM
look in the "lost and found" submenu of start menu.

i havent got that either, why is mine so different from everyone elses?? are you guys on KDE or something?

gala_dragos
22nd August 2007, 09:43 AM
yes I am on kde, try "winecfg" in command line for wine configuration menu.

Fittersman
22nd August 2007, 09:48 AM
o, thanks for all the help :)

fengshaun
22nd August 2007, 02:55 PM
the best thing you can do now is that you uninstall it from Add/Remove (search for it and uncheck it) and open a terminal:

su -
password: xxxxxx
yum install wine

do it see if it works!

fengshaun
22nd August 2007, 02:56 PM
Lost and Found menu appears when you install a program that doesn't belong to non of the groups in KDE menu. In GNOME menu it appears as Other.

fengshaun
22nd August 2007, 02:58 PM
for installing or opening an exe file you can just double click it or right click > open with > Wine windows emulator
no need for wine application.exe in terminal

gala_dragos
22nd August 2007, 07:07 PM
Lost and Found menu appears when you install a program that doesn't belong to non of the groups in KDE menu. In GNOME menu it appears as Other.
It also appears after you install the first windows program under wine because "Wine" menu becomes the fake windows startmenu

fengshaun
23rd August 2007, 02:39 AM
yes exactly

SirTwist
30th August 2007, 06:40 PM
o, nevermind figured out that i need to run it as root to make that work

and, does anyone know how to get it to think its running windows xp (or greater)? because msn live messenger wont install without it

Just use pidgin, it's better, and less bulky than MSN.

fengshaun
30th August 2007, 07:16 PM
Pidgin. I like it and use it too. The only problem is offline messages which I use a plugin called offline emulator.