PDA

View Full Version : loadingdata across partitions, windows -> linux

PC_Nerd
20th August 2007, 07:20 AM
Hi,

Some of you may have read my previous post on backup up via Linux, but i think i need this particular solution.

Im loking for a way to load windows files into my linux system to burn to disc. The windows is partially corrupted, and may be unable to do this ( in which case ill have to go the computer guy :<).

The two OS's are on the same SATA hard drive, internal on a laptopp. Windows was first installed, and the linux version installed later ( with a repartition.) Im using Fedora Core 4, and windows XP proffesional. When i look on the computer folder(i think)... it has a directory called windows, and has "windir" in it, hwever its completely empty, and i not sure if this has anything to do with what im trying to do.

A friend has walked me through and we used commends such as makedir windir ( windir i think now excists in that windows folder. Also tried mounting etc, but didnt work ( my friend said that is was different to ubuntu which he uses).

If theres is a set of commands that i need to use, or if its simply me looking in the wrong place, could ayone please let me know where to go from here.....

Thanks for your help in adance,
yours, PC_Nerd

stevea
20th August 2007, 07:42 AM
Post the result of a "mount" command and a "fdisk -l" command.

You *may* want to boot a windows install cd and run chkdsk *if* it's an
ntfs file system for windows. If it's vfat Linux will do better I think.

nspmangalore
20th August 2007, 07:49 AM
Hi,

Some of you may have read my previous post on backup up via Linux, but i think i need this particular solution.

Im loking for a way to load windows files into my linux system to burn to disc. The windows is partially corrupted, and may be unable to do this ( in which case ill have to go the computer guy :<).

The two OS's are on the same SATA hard drive, internal on a laptopp. Windows was first installed, and the linux version installed later ( with a repartition.) Im using Fedora Core 4, and windows XP proffesional. I can see a dinwos folder within the computer etc on my rot user, however its completely empty, so i dont really know what to do.

A friend has walked me through and we used commends such as makedir windir ( windir i think now excists in that windows folder. Also tried mounting etc, but didnt work ( my friend said that is was different to ubuntu which he uses).

If theres is a set of commands that i need to use, or if its simply me looking in the wrong place, could ayone please let me know where to go from here.....

Thanks for your help in adance,
yours, PC_Nerd

plz rephrase the sentence in bold.

are you saying you want to read windows partition in linux?
if that is the case, read this (http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=164140&highlight=mount) thread...