PDA

View Full Version : missing: 3 GB of ram and swap. Please return to Fedora 7 desktop

slade17
19th August 2007, 10:40 PM
http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/5866/screenshot122jk0.png

anyone have any idea where it went? :confused:

I don't exactly use my computer lightly. i left it on for a few days in a row (downloading OSes) i had 100+ firefox windows open, and i was streaming music, but i closed out of the music and downloads with no improvement in ram consumption (the CPU usage dropped). the processes showed that firefox was using the most ram by far, at 80 mb. did fedora just crash out on me? it wouldn't let me take a second screenshot, and it took about 5 minutes to go to a virtual terminal and type "init 6"

joe.pelayo
19th August 2007, 10:48 PM
I noticed a similar behavior before. Just rebooted and everything is back to normal. It seems that even though the process has already ended (and thus freed RAM), Linux does not "erase/release" the RAM until it is required again. Have you tried to run something else? Is the system responsive?

Joe.

brunson
19th August 2007, 10:54 PM
Try using "top" and sorting the processes by memory usage. That should identify the top users of RAM. I've noticed that bittorrent uses a lot of memory if you're simultaneously downloading several large files.

slade17
19th August 2007, 11:06 PM
I noticed a similar behavior before. Just rebooted and everything is back to normal. It seems that even though the process has already ended (and thus freed RAM), Linux does not "erase/release" the RAM until it is required again. Have you tried to run something else? Is the system responsive?

Joe.
yeah, after i rebooted everything was fine. i'm using it now.

Try using "top" and sorting the processes by memory usage. That should identify the top users of RAM. I've noticed that bittorrent uses a lot of memory if you're simultaneously downloading several large files.
yeah, i did the same thing with "processes" in the system monitor. the top process was firefox using just under 80 mb, and then the torrents were at >10 mb. that's what i'm saying, i have no idea where the ram went :confused: the system locked up and wouldn't even let me open a terminal to use top, i had to use ctrl+alt+f2. the processor was fine after i closed out of a few things, it was idling at about 20%.

clearer
19th August 2007, 11:07 PM
the system monitor and top don't agree on how to measure memory usage. You want to use top to actually get the real result (or that is, I agree more with the method top uses than system monitor).

slade17
19th August 2007, 11:11 PM
the system monitor and top don't agree on how to measure memory usage. You want to use top to actually get the real result (or that is, I agree more with the method top uses than system monitor).
really? well, it can't be off by *that* much. 80 mb to 3 gb? and as i said, it wouldn't even let me open top. (how do you exit out of top, or change it to sort by a certain column? i've never figured that out)

wintersm
20th August 2007, 12:10 AM
when using top, press "q" to quit.. or "h" for help which will show you how to sort and add/delete columns and cpus, when configured the way you like it press "w" to write the settings to your config - other usefull keys are "k" to kill a process..

B - disable/enable bold
Z - change colors
1 - SMP view
o - change display order
f - add / remove fields
z- toggle color/mono

et.c. its all under help found by pressing 'h'

:)

slade17
20th August 2007, 03:39 AM
when using top, press "q" to quit.. or "h" for help which will show you how to sort and add/delete columns and cpus, when configured the way you like it press "w" to write the settings to your config - other usefull keys are "k" to kill a process..

B - disable/enable bold
Z - change colors
1 - SMP view
o - change display order
f - add / remove fields
z- toggle color/mono

et.c. its all under help found by pressing 'h'

:)
haha, q, that's intuitive. i was trying shift+q and ctrl+x, because of gedit and manpages.

thanks

wintersm
20th August 2007, 03:44 AM
i think the standard ctrl-c works also..