PDA

View Full Version : Remove Unnecessary Files of fedora

nym2010
19th August 2007, 05:55 PM
Hi Guys,
I have been usin Fedora 6. Is there any soft, that can detect the unnecessary files.
do u have any information about this kind of softwares??????

clearer
19th August 2007, 11:05 PM
What exactly do you mean? If there is any software you don't need you can try removing it running "rpm -e <packagename>" as root. You should be aware that it may cause problems if you remove packages that other packages depend on. Features of other software may be disabled.

A lot of packages are not essential to me so I've removed a lot of the standard packages with no hazzle -- these packages are almost only end program packages (i.e. not a library or a utility that other packages use) or where feature enabling packages for laptops (I don't have a laptop) or wireless networking.

The New World
19th August 2007, 11:25 PM
I think the OP means those clean up programs windows user run like easy cleaner but as far as I know you don't get unnecessary files in fedora.

JohnVV
20th August 2007, 12:11 AM
"programs windows user run like easy cleaner "
are not needed in linux
for win xp i use fix-it and the registry cleaner
but there is NO registry in Fedora to clean
if you added files to a directory , for example my Celestia folder in /share gets a lot of added stuff . So if i do ./ make uninstall then i will also need to delete the remaining files by hand
but
normal ./configure make make install
and rpm's with yum
uninstall EVERYTHING they install

nym2010
20th August 2007, 07:31 AM
Thanks all.