PDA

View Full Version : can't see my other partitions in fedora7

scorpio54
19th August 2007, 12:32 PM
I have 2 internal hard drives, first with vista installed and second partitioned with Xp and fedora 7 installed, in a tri boot setup. I also have an external storage drive which I can see and access fine. But for some reason I am not able to see the Vista or Xp partitions at all. What must I do so I may access them?

FriedChips
19th August 2007, 12:38 PM
install ntfs-3g, after installing the livna rempositores.

Just google livna, and install the rpm that coincides with your version of fedora.

then:

su -
(enter password for root)
yum install -y ntfs-3g

then mount your ntfs drives under mnt/whatever-directory-you-make-to-hold-your-windows-stuff

it may also be useful to install ntfs-config

scorpio54
19th August 2007, 12:50 PM
I have ntsf-3g and ntfs-config installed already. I enabled the write support for the partitions, but still don't see the partitions anywhere.

FriedChips
19th August 2007, 01:01 PM
you need to mount the partitions first.

ntfsmount /dev/?da? /mnt/whatever-directory-you-create-to-hold-your-windows-volumes

FriedChips
19th August 2007, 01:03 PM
Try:

ntfsmount --help

That should give you some pointers

scorpio54
19th August 2007, 01:45 PM
Ok. I figured out that the partitions are mounted in media folder in /. How might I show them on desktop or in places/computer? I'm a noob to this. Is there a way to create a shortcut to them?

scorpio54
19th August 2007, 02:35 PM
Think I''ll give up on this and just access them from media file in root. About killed fedora trying to figure it out by playing around. Had to do a fsck to get things working again. Opps!

FriedChips
19th August 2007, 02:38 PM
lol.... I'm not sure how to get anything to show up on desktop/places menu that's not already there.

Dies
19th August 2007, 02:41 PM
I'm a noob to this. Is there a way to create a shortcut to them?

example

ln -s /media/???? /home/$USER/Desktop/

as far as the places thing, just drag and drop whatever into the left pane in Nautilus. ;)

scorpio54
19th August 2007, 03:24 PM
Thanks for your patience and help. I've got the shortcuts for the partitions to desktop now. Now I need to figure out how to find and use Nautilus.

Dies
19th August 2007, 07:56 PM
I'm sorry I keep assuming everyone is using Gnome, Nautilus is the Gnome file browser, if you are using KDE then Konqueror should be similar, though I think there you Bookmark stuff.