PDA

View Full Version : pls figure out these excessive downloads

rajesh0975
18th August 2007, 08:44 PM
hi buddies!

i'm a newbie. I updated my system yesterday after installing fedora 7. The update cost me more than 700MB. I finished downloading around 650MB at one time using root account and the remaining 50MB in a user account with super user privilege. The system restarted post installation of updates. However, when I launched the Software Updater, the GUI didn't appear but some download has started. I restarted and logged in again to find similar behaviour with Software Updater. The download seems to keep going on and on. netstat results show active tcp connections with
mirror.nyi.net:ftp (64.90.181.77:21)
noa.linux.ee:http (195.222.16.154:80)
mirror.nyi.net:53424 (64.90.181.77:53424) :mad:

can someone pls throw light on what's happening. The system has already downloaded 100MB of data once again and it's an irritant hogging my DSL bandwidth. what's the solution my problem? :)

thanx

stevea
18th August 2007, 08:58 PM
What do you mean you downloaded 650MB once then 50MB later ? Aren't you using "yum update" or the yum-updatesd tool ? It does all at once.

Fedora is chock full of new and revised packages. It's perfectly normal to install and then download a1GB of packages at times. Where are sometimes interim fedora install disks that have updated packages - but these quickly fall out of date too.

One point of confusion perhaps - yum does a very thorough check of all the packages and their dependencies and this requires a long time, but not so much bandwidth - the nit downloads & installs the packes. Prehaps you only got through the 1st half.

Yes every few days I login and see "63 packages available for update". That's what Fedora is about.

rajesh0975
18th August 2007, 09:22 PM
thanx dear,

What do you mean you downloaded 650MB once then 50MB later ? Aren't you using "yum update" or the yum-updatesd tool ? It does all at once.

yes, I did it in parts. Verified that the cache had downloaded data and it didn't download rpm's it had earlier. I guess yum has to be that smart to resume where it left, can't expect all users to have always on Mbps broadbands.