PDA

View Full Version : installing Fedora 7 and Windows

HITMAN-X-
18th August 2007, 03:55 PM
Ok I know this may have been asked a 100 times but I just can't get this to work for me.

I got a 60 GB hard drive and I partition 25 GB for windows and what was left I used for fedora.

So windows install fine. Then I installed Fedora and it also went good.

Rebooted and Fedora came up with the press any key to pick the boot options. So I did and I picked my windows partition. I got an error. The only OS that worked was fedora.

So I formated the partitions fedora was on and tryed to boot again to see if windows would load. It hung on the word GRUB (I belive that the boot loader for picking what OS to boot)

I have now formated the whole hard drive, installed windows again on a 25 GB partition and want to install Fedora 7. Any ideas as I don't want to mess this up again ?.

Dangermouse
18th August 2007, 04:08 PM
Hello what i have done and do, is in widows clear a space with partition magic etc, and leave the space empty dont make any partions etc, and when you install f7 let it install to free space option, and let it do the partitions etc for you, i suspect you tried to configure the partitions yourself.

HITMAN-X-
18th August 2007, 04:15 PM
Yes my 1st try I did an NTFS partition for windows using HIREN 8.9 and then I did the other Partitions for fedora as ext3, Linux SWAP and Vlan.

Right now I only have 1 partition and that the NTFS for Windows. The rest is unallocated space. So I hope this works.

Dangermouse
18th August 2007, 04:20 PM
Im sure it will i have done it loads of times, im no good at partitioning (or spelling) and the default works just fine for me, when installed you might find this usefull to get you started

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=163436

HITMAN-X-
18th August 2007, 05:15 PM
Worked fine. This is good as I have been uninstalling windows and installing Linux for college. Then installing windows again for when I go out of town and need some programs that only windows can run. now I have both.

Thank You,
HITMAN-X-