PDA

View Full Version : NDISWrapper

wiscados
17th August 2007, 09:48 PM
I need to install NDISWrapper to get my WiFi card to work.
The problem is I have no idea how to install it. And I can't use YUM since I don't have direct network access.

bbfuller
17th August 2007, 11:21 PM
Hello wiscados

Welcome to the forum.

It's going to be a bit of trial and error getting all the parts you need to install ndiswrapper without direct internet access.

However, here is the address of a useful howto for installing ndiswrapper in fedora:

http://www.fedoraguide.info/index.php/Fedora7#Ndiswrapper_drivers_howto

and you will see that rpm's for ndiswrapper are held in the Livna repository. That is here:

http://livna.cat.pdx.edu/fedora/7/i386/

if you download the files:

kmod-ndiswrapper
ndiswrapper

making sure that the number of the kmod matches the number of the kernel you have installed. Note also that as well as the actual kernel number there are versions for i586 and i686. You should then be able to transfer them into a folder on your wireless machine by memory stick, CD or something.

If they are the only rpm's in the folder, try:

rpm -i *.rpm

and see if it requires any more packages

wiscados
18th August 2007, 12:39 AM
it does require more packages. But its not in the repo you linked to; ndiswrapper-kmod-common.

bbfuller
18th August 2007, 09:21 AM
Hello wiscados

No, I'm sure you have all the parts there, it's just the form of the rpm command that I haven't got right. The ndiswrapper-kmod-common is just a reference to something in one of the existing packages that it's not referring back to correctly.

Try:

rpm -Uvh *.rpm

leigh123linux
18th August 2007, 09:48 AM
It isn't going to work because livna doesn't have the right kmod-ndiswrapper version to match the (DVD or CD kernel ) release kernel.

try the dkms version

http://ftp.freshrpms.net/pub/freshrpms/fedora/linux/7/dkms-ndiswrapper/dkms-ndiswrapper-1.47-1.fc7.i386.rpm

http://ftp-stud.hs-esslingen.de/pub/fedora/linux/releases/7/Everything/i386/os/Fedora/dkms-2.0.16-1.fc7.noarch.rpm

and the kernel-devel rpm from the DVD or CD

and put them in a folder ( all 3 rpms )

then cd to folder and install

su
rpm -ivh *rpm

then you will need to reboot to complete the install

bbfuller
18th August 2007, 10:09 AM
Sorry about that wiscados,

There is evidently a new kernel in the air and livna haven't updated their ndiswrapper to match it. Certainly the freshrpms approach will keep your ndiswrapper in line with kernels without having to check

Actually, I'm just updating one of my machines and the new kernel hasn't made it to the mirror I'm using yet so I wasn't aware there may be a problem until 30mins ago.

leigh123linux
18th August 2007, 10:22 AM
Sorry about that wiscados,

There is evidently a new kernel in the air and livna haven't updated their ndiswrapper to match it. Certainly the freshrpms approach will keep your ndiswrapper in line with kernels without having to check

Actually, I'm just updating one of my machines and the new kernel hasn't made it to the mirror I'm using yet so I wasn't aware there may be a problem until 30mins ago.

I don't think he has been able to update and livna don't keep the old kmods

I need to install NDISWrapper to get my WiFi card to work.
The problem is I have no idea how to install it. And I can't use YUM since I don't have direct network access.

I don't have this problem as I build my own ndiswrapper rpm & kmod to suit

[root@localhost Desktop]# rpm -q kernelkernel-2.6.23-0.104.rc3.fc8
kernel-2.6.23-0.110.rc3.git1.fc8
[root@localhost Desktop]# rpm -q kmod-ndiswrapper
kmod-ndiswrapper-1.48rc1-1.2.6.23_0.104.rc3.fc8
[root@localhost Desktop]# rpm -q ndiswrapper
ndiswrapper-1.48rc1-1.fc8

If you are interested I posted some src rpms for F7 for ndiswrapper-1.48rc1

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=163344

bbfuller
18th August 2007, 10:46 AM
I'd assumed you were saying that livna didn't have modules for the new 2.6.22.2-5something kernel that I saw reference to this morning.

Actually there are still modules in place on livna for:

kernel-2.6.21-1.3194.fc7
kernel-2.6.22.1-27.fc7
kernel-2.6.22.1-33.fc7
kernel-2.6.22.1-41.fc7

it's just 3228 that has vanished.

leigh123linux
18th August 2007, 10:52 AM
I'd assumed you were saying that livna didn't have modules for the new 2.6.22.2-5something kernel that I saw reference to this morning.

Actually there are still modules in place on livna for:

kernel-2.6.21-1.3194.fc7
kernel-2.6.22.1-27.fc7
kernel-2.6.22.1-33.fc7
kernel-2.6.22.1-41.fc7

it's just 3228 that has vanished.

I wasn't aware that they kept the old kmods for networks :cool:

This error is a indication that the OP selected the wrong kmod for his kernel

ndiswrapper-kmod-common.

[root@localhost Desktop]# rpm -q ndiswrapper --requires
/bin/sh
/usr/bin/perl
libc.so.6()(64bit)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.2.5)(64bit)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.3)(64bit)
ndiswrapper-kmod >= 1.48rc1
perl(Cwd)
perl(Fcntl)
perl(File::Basename)
perl(File::Copy)
perl(File::Path)
perl(strict)
rpmlib(CompressedFileNames) <= 3.0.4-1
rpmlib(PayloadFilesHavePrefix) <= 4.0-1
rpmlib(VersionedDependencies) <= 3.0.3-1
rtld(GNU_HASH)
[root@localhost Desktop]#

bbfuller
18th August 2007, 11:03 AM
Hello wiscados,

Somewhere in all the above you should find an answer to your problems, if you want any clarification when you come back online then don't hesitate to post again.

wiscados
21st August 2007, 07:43 PM
Hi, sorry for the late response. I have limited access to the internet you see ;-)

I was a bit surprised of all the replys, thank you!

I have tried everything you suggested without success, but I just now saw that there was more to leigh123@linuxs' dkms post than I first saw, so I'll try that now.

EDIT: OK, first, how do I get the kernel devel rpm from the CD?

leigh123linux
21st August 2007, 08:47 PM
EDIT: OK, first, how do I get the kernel devel rpm from the CD?

Insert the cd into the cd reader and look for a directory called fedora / rpms and look through the rpms till you find the kernel-devel-2.6>>>>.i686.rpm and copy and paste to your desktop.

wiscados
22nd August 2007, 04:34 PM
There is no directory called fedora or anything like that, here are only 2 folders in on the CD, one is empty the other has a few small files in it. It the root directory on the CD there is a 600MB .img file, but I don't have any application that can open it.

What I think is that I have the wrong CD, I have Fedora 7 KDE Live.

leigh123linux
22nd August 2007, 04:50 PM
There is no directory called fedora or anything like that, here are only 2 folders in on the CD, one is empty the other has a few small files in it. It the root directory on the CD there is a 600MB .img file, but I don't have any application that can open it.

What I think is that I have the wrong CD, I have Fedora 7 KDE Live.

I forgot the cd has a squashfs file system

get it here instead

http://fedora.tu-chemnitz.de/pub/linux/fedora/linux/releases/7/Fedora/i386/os/Fedora/kernel-devel-2.6.21-1.3194.fc7.i686.rpm

wiscados
22nd August 2007, 06:56 PM
I did but is says it needs GCC !!
Strange, but OK, it's more of a development tool anyway.

I then remembered that I tried lspci some days ago and it didn't work, I then thought it had something to do with su.
But now after trying what you said I was alerady in superuser mode, so I tired lspci, guess what; it didn't work! I then tried some other commands, and fdisk doesn't work either!

How can I not have there, that I would considder fundamental, programs? Did the installation fail? I checked the SHA1 sum before burning the disk.

leigh123linux
22nd August 2007, 07:02 PM
I did but is says it needs GCC !!
Strange, but OK, it's more of a development tool anyway.

I then remembered that I tried lspci some days ago and it didn't work, I then thought it had something to do with su.
But now after trying what you said I was alerady in superuser mode, so I tired lspci, guess what; it didn't work! I then tried some other commands, and fdisk doesn't work either!

How can I not have there, that I would considder fundamental, programs? Did the installation fail? I checked the SHA1 sum before burning the disk.

does " su - " work ? ( you need the dash )

su -
lspci |grep VGA

su -
fdisk

wiscados
22nd August 2007, 09:28 PM
yup, that works. But I still don't got GCC...

Is there a way to see if it is installed, like see what directory it is in?

leigh123linux
22nd August 2007, 09:50 PM
try

rpm -q gcc

you can get the rpm' s here if needed

http://fedora.tu-chemnitz.de/pub/linux/fedora/linux/releases/7/Fedora/i386/os/Fedora/

wiscados
23rd August 2007, 04:10 PM
I downloaded it, tryed it.. and yep, it's what I was afraid of, more dependencies. 3 more, but I could only find 2 on the link you gave me, but I 'm gonna try it anyway as one was libgomp and the one that wasn't in the link is libgomp.so.1

leigh123linux
23rd August 2007, 04:14 PM
I downloaded it, tryed it.. and yep, it's what I was afraid of, more dependencies. 3 more, but I could only find 2 on the link you gave me, but I 'm gonna try it anyway as one was libgomp and the one that wasn't in the link is libgomp.so.1

Try this package ( it provides libgomp.so.1 )

http://fedora.tu-chemnitz.de/pub/linux/fedora/linux/releases/7/Fedora/i386/os/Fedora/libgomp-4.1.2-12.i386.rpm

wiscados
23rd August 2007, 04:30 PM
I'm sweating from running from my computer to my fathers computer(which is on a diffrent floor) with my thumbdrive, I needed libgomp, then I needed glibc-devel, then glibc-headers, then kernel-header. Phew, thats about one week's worth of exercise.

But you know what, it is compiling now, or whatever it's doing, so next post is hopefully from within Fedora 7, wohoo!

ps. I'm glad automatic dependency resolving software was created!!

EDIT: NDISWrapper thread 2.0: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=164530

wiscados
29th August 2007, 07:52 PM
wait a minute! The dkms compiled the kernel, right? And it's a module, right?
Doesn't the module have to be compiled by the same compiler as the kernel?
How do I know what complier was used to compile my kernel? Is there any command for it, or is it in some documentation somewhere?