PDA

View Full Version : DVDs on Fedora 5

yoshisaur
17th August 2007, 08:14 PM
Help something is wrong with my Fedora 5! I cannot play DVD's mpg's mov's wmv's or mp3's! I thought Linux was supposed to be better than Windows. Anyway does anyone know how to fix this problem? Thanks!

FriedChips
17th August 2007, 08:37 PM
I cannot play DVD's mpg's mov's wmv's or mp3's! I thought Linux was supposed to be better than Windows. Thanks!

That is not the way to get help.

Linux does not come with any non-free codecs. It only comes with software that is completely free. These codecs are available through the livna repository, but since you are upgrading to fc7 anyway, you are way better off just getting 7 installed before diving into that can of worms

Rainmaker
17th August 2007, 09:30 PM
Hi,

I agree with FriedChips, but do have some extras to add. Firstly, welcome to Linux. If you take some time to read around (release notes, FAQs, README files, How Tos etc) you'll soon have answers to most of your questions.

FriedChips, I have to gently correct you insomuch as to say "MOST Linux does not come with any non-free codecs.". When you said "all" you weren't quite on the money as there are of course exceptions (PCLinuxOS, Mint, etc). This whole software patent/codec infringement is a US issue - in Europe we're free to distribute codecs out of the box :)

Yoshisaur, as FC said, get F7 up and running first and then read around about the Livna repository. You can find a nice guide HERE (http://www.gagme.com/greg/linux/f7-tips.php). A word to the wise... with respect... if you lose some of the apparent distro-hostility people will be more willing to help.

For the record my friend, Windows won't play MP3, DVD or MOV out of the box either, so...!
Enjoy your experience with Fedora and Linux, there is much to learn and many rewards to be had.

Cheers,

Lee

fengshaun
17th August 2007, 09:35 PM
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
just install livna repo here and you're done
go to add/remove and search for vlc (after installing livna repo)
and you're done completely
Mr./Mrs. Yoshisaur, could you please stop comparing linux to windows. If you really love windows, why did you switch to linux then?