PDA

View Full Version : windows wont boot - need to back up via Linux

PC_Nerd
17th August 2007, 02:56 PM
Hi,

Ive dual partitioned my HD with windows andlinux Fedora Core 4. Windows wont boot, and im looking for a way to backup my data via the linux partition. Eveythings on the one Hard drive. I have Windowx on NTFS, and i havent a clue how to "mount"something.

Coudl anyone please suggest a sec of commands, or a programetc, that will helpme backup all my data onto eithe ra Disk, or anothe HD if i can plug on in?

thanks for your help,
yours, PC_Nerd

Dangermouse
17th August 2007, 03:08 PM
Hello i use acronis true image, it works well with linux and windows, i use it to clone my hd wich is f7 and xp,
unfortunately you have to pay for it, unless your one that has no scrupples about downloading off a torrent site like torrentspy.com.

PC_Nerd
17th August 2007, 03:13 PM
thanks,

im looking for a way to select certain files etc... iknow i wouldnt be abelt o store my HD, clones etc and i canreinstall allmy programs if i need to reinstall windows.. ( HATE IT!!!!). main thing is like work and important stuff like that.....

thanks though

does ayone else have any ideas?

ricemark20
18th August 2007, 12:35 PM
To mount a drive, simply enter 'mount /mnt/hda1'. That's assuming your Windows partition is hda1. Also, using gparted might help. While still in konsole under root, enter 'gparted' in konsole, then you should be able to work with the partitions.

bbfuller
18th August 2007, 05:40 PM
Hello PC_Nerd

I'm not sure I'd even try that with fedora 4.

My experience is to download something like knoppix. Burn the iso to CD. Boot the machine from it.

You will be presented with a desktop with icons for all of your on board partitions and clicking on one will open a file manager. If you plug external storage in as well you'll get an icon for that, mount it by clicking to get a file manager and drag and drop between file managers.

You may just need to right click on the icon for the device you are writing to and "Change read/write mode". Some external devices are mounted read only, it depends on type of device and filesystem on it.

Probably, you could do it to your existing Linux partition the same way.

The thing about using using knoppix and not your existing fedora is that knoppix is designed for rescue and will give you easy ways of mounting your windows partition. Fedora, particularly back as far a 4 is not going to be that kind.

stoat
18th August 2007, 10:09 PM
does ayone else have any ideas?Hello PC_Nerd,

My contribution to your idea collection:

1. Repair the Windows boot loader. Backup your important files to a CD in Windows (or even keep it in a dual boot setup using either GRUB or NTLoader). The interruption in Windows booting is likely to be caused by one of these: master boot record, volume boot record, ntldr, ntdetect.com, boot.ini; all of which can be restored, reacquired, recreated or downloaded. It will help to pinpoint which one by hearing what happened just before Windows stopped booting (e.g., installed Fedora).

2. If you're not interested in that, create a simple Windows boot floppy to get the Windows system going just to do your file backup to a CD or a FAT32 partition that FC4 can access.

3. Install FC6 or F7, both of which are capable of reliable RW access to NTFS partitions. And unlike FC4, are still supported.

Good luck with whatever you try.

PC_Nerd
19th August 2007, 01:59 AM
Ok.....

if i was to create a boot disc for windows, is that just like booting from a different source, but using theHard Drives data? in which case where can i create teh windows bot disc.. ( i dont have a flpoppy disc on my computer.

If i use Ubuntu to mount the NTFS partition, would i have to navigate my Hard Drive using the Terminal? or can i navigate using GUI suff, like folders?

Thanks for all your ideas, i really appreciate your help.

stoat
19th August 2007, 02:20 AM
i dont have a flpoppy disc on my computerDoes it have a CD player? One more idea to get the Windows system booted: Download and create a Super GRUB Disk for CD (http://supergrub.forjamari.linex.org/). It does a lot of things including booting Windows. If the Windows system is capable of booting, the Super GRUB Disk can find it and boot it. If it doesn't, your time creating the CD will not be wasted. The Super GRUB Disk is one of the utilities every Linux user should have handy anyway.

PC_Nerd
19th August 2007, 07:09 AM
ok.....

the mount command stuff doesnt work. It cannot find the filesystem etc.

what is f7? and what does it do etc?

I do have the CD, and i tried Super GRUB Disc -except when i tried the windows boot, it either booted the Diognistics system or it booted normally, where it went and stopped again.

When i start windows (first and defulat partition on my harddrive), it gets to where windows starts. Once the green loading bar starts moving, within abotu 3 secs, i get the "blue error screen of death"...

So what im looking for is either a way to boot a ssecond copy of windows, and access the Files of this HD, or to have a way to access the files via linux andback them up, then reinstall windows....

Which would be ther better or easier option for me?
\
thaks for all your help.

bbfuller
19th August 2007, 09:10 AM
So what im looking for is either a way to boot a ssecond copy of windows, and access the Files of this HD, or to have a way to access the files via linux andback them up, then reinstall windows....

You have my opinion in post #2