PDA

View Full Version : Login without password

OldAl
14th August 2007, 07:28 AM
Hi,

As a newbie to Fedora (Fedora Core 5 with kernel 2.6.15) I would like to be able to login without having to enter username and password, as I am the only user on the computer in which Fedore Core 5 is installed.

Thanks for any help on that score. The desktop seems to be gnome. In the past I have used KDE in other Linux installations. Have never tried Fedore Core in the past!

Wayne
14th August 2007, 07:31 AM
In the Gnome menu select 'System > Administration > Login Screen' on the 'Security' tab select 'Enable Automatic Login' and select the user.

Wayne

OldAl
14th August 2007, 07:35 AM
In the Gnome menu select 'System > Administration > Login Screen' on the 'Security' tab select 'Enable Automatic Login' and select the user.

Wayne

Thanks, Wayne - instantaneous response! I remember doing this with Ubuntu, which also sports gnome desktop. Great and unbeatable fast answer!

Al.

Wayne
14th August 2007, 07:39 AM
Glad to help, Al. Could I tempt you to install Fedora 7 instead of FC5? It should be reaching or has already reached end of support, which means no more security fixes and updates.

Edit:

http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=159789&highlight=Core+end+support

Wayne

OldAl
14th August 2007, 09:04 AM
Wayne,

I have enrolled in HP course on Linux. They don't want to re-write the notes, so Fedora Core 5 is recommended as a means of "trying what you learn". In CLI the distro that is installed is of little consequence, but in GUI it can be real problem. For this reason we, the students, should stick to the recommended distro.

I am probably in a pickle anyway, as I ended up with gnome desktop, after I tried different monitor settings. Is it possible to change the desktop to kde, without a new installation?

Thanks for the conversation, rondonjin! (London gin - or a gai jin - two kinds of different "jins or gins :) .

Al.

Wayne
14th August 2007, 09:12 AM
Using the GUI, open Add/Remove Software in the menu and you should get the choice to install it in the first screen. Next time you log-in, choose KDE as your DE.

Wayne