PDA

View Full Version : Fonts

Andrico
13th August 2007, 07:21 PM
I'm trying to install extra fonts on FC6, ones that I can't get through yum or in any RPMs designed for Fedora.I tired the following, but it seems it was to no avail. I'm trying to get the fonts installed for system-wide use, as well as for use in the Gimp, which is what matters most.

# mkdir /usr/share/fonts/myfonts
# cp /home/L/Desktop/downloadFonts /usr/share/fonts/myfonts
# cd /usr/share/fonts/myfonts
# ttmkfdir -c
# cp fonts.scale fonts.dir
# /usr/sbin/chkfontpath -q --add /usr/share/fonts/myfonts
# fc-cache -f -v

I've never installed fonts before, so I just got this tutorial off of the net. What did I do wrong and how should I fix it? Thanks.

Hlingler
13th August 2007, 11:46 PM
Hello:

You must perform the above as root user to have them available for system-wide use, but you probably knew that since "mkdir" and "ttmkfdir" should fail for a normal user. The above commands should have done the job, if run as root user. What exactly do you mean: "...but it seems it was to no avail."? Do the fonts not show up in the GIMP?? More info, please....

Regards,
V

Andrico
14th August 2007, 12:37 AM
Yeah, they don't show up in The Gimp, or any other program. Also, I went into the /usr/share/fonts/myfonts file and their were only two files, and they weren't font files. I don't have the file names because I'm nowhere near my Linux computer right now, but they seemed to me to be like, linking to the fonts or something. I ran all of these as root, so that shouldn't be the problem. Is the problem that the fonts aren't in that file? Cuz I could put them in that file if that is the case.

Wayne
14th August 2007, 01:23 AM
Usually, running fc-cache -f -v after putting the fonts in a directory under /usr/share/fonts works for me. sometimes a log-out is required though. It seems to me that you didn't copy the fonts over. Were they in a tarball or zip-file? You did decompress them first?

To make it easier (ASSuming you're using Gnome) Open a terminal, su to root and run nautilus from the Terminal, then navigate to /usr/share/fonts/myfonts and drag the critters over from the desktop. It's better when you can see what you're doing :)

Wayne