PDA

View Full Version : F7 - KDE & Beryl

Vitamin Carrot
12th August 2007, 05:07 AM
Hi guys,

I have just made the move from windows to linux, I choose Fedora as my dist cause the last time i had the urge to do this i used fedora core 3 and that was ok untill i got lazy and couldnt be botherd reading up on how to get things going that and i had an easy way out as i was dual booting with xp at the time .... BUT NO MORE!!!!! muahahahahahaahahaha

Anyways ... i found this lovely readme on how to make Beryl load on startup with gnome but i cant find one for kde would it be much different?

this is the readme i found
http://www.howtoforge.com/fedora7_beryl_compizfusion

wintermute000
27th August 2007, 01:06 PM
Mate I switched from gnome to KDE and I have a similar sounding issue.

In KDE, when beryl starts, beryl manager never starts, and I am missing window borders (??? you say). So i can't actually move any windows around as there are no borders to grab onto.

Its easily fixed by manually starting beryl manager. This restores borders, but somehow turns the window manager back to Metacity (which incidentally is the gnome native window manager, not the KDE native one). Then you manually select Beryl window manager and its all working.

With gnome, everything kicks in fine out of the the box... I am still stumped, and as its more of an irritation than an actual problem, I haven't attempted to go further than looking at xorg and messages logs (which show nothing).

Vitamin Carrot
28th August 2007, 08:00 AM
I read somewhere that having beryl start up with KDE can cause other processes to not load properly ... this might be the same issue you have :( Unfortunatly Im still learning linux ... and so far IT KICKS THE CRAP OUTA WINDOWS!

lol pwned by caps ... fortunatly for me i have figured out how to get most of the games i play working under wine :P
With Beryl (Compiz Fusion) Linux looks a billion time better than vista and has way more functionality

yay communism

wintermute000
29th August 2007, 03:46 AM
Anyhow, I figured out how to autostart beryl-manager.

in your .desktop folder (in home) there should be an autostart folder. Put a link in there to the beryl-manager executable