PDA

View Full Version : F7 Problem booting from DVD

galois
12th August 2007, 03:59 AM
Hello everyone,

I currently have FC5 on my laptop, and I'm trying to update to F7, but I'm having some problems when trying to boot from the DVD (I was able to copy F7 into a DVD from Windows XP). I will like to get some input on how to change the bio so that the DVD is one of the options when booting.

Thanks a million,

typomaster
12th August 2007, 05:01 AM
I am not sure what the problem is but,,,,, You cannot just burn a DVD under Windows that will boot. What you must do is use Windows to "Burn iso" to disk. And it will boot.

typomaster

typomaster
12th August 2007, 05:15 AM
ok, seems to me that if you actually burned the iso image to disk and not just copied the file...

When you boot you Laptop you will be given a chance to enter the bios. This may be via the delete or maybe F2 keys. Once in the bios, look for boot options. It is possible that you are telling it to check the hard drive first. There will be a way for you to change it to DVD/CDR first.

typomaster

galois
12th August 2007, 06:12 PM
ok, seems to me that if you actually burned the iso image to disk and not just copied the file...

When you boot you Laptop you will be given a chance to enter the bios. This may be via the delete or maybe F2 keys. Once in the bios, look for boot options. It is possible that you are telling it to check the hard drive first. There will be a way for you to change it to DVD/CDR first.

typomaster
Hi-

Thanks for the help. However, I was unable to change the bio with your hints. Do you happen to know how to change the bio from a terminal, or maybe you can point out to me some references on how to go about doing this (on the web or some pdf files).

Thanks

typomaster
12th August 2007, 08:56 PM
I still do not know if you have a bootable iso disc or are trying to boot from a data disc that Windows made. The two are completely different animals. Windows itself does not make iso discs as far as I know. You need third-party software which has the ability to make iso discs. I use "Nero" to burn iso images to disc. The software that came with my laptop does not do it.

Find a Windows installation disc, put it in the laptop, and turn the power on. You should get a message like "Press any key to boot from CD." If you do, the problems is not the bios settings but your FC7 disc. If the FC7 disc really is an iso disc, the same thing should happen.

typomaster

brr872002
13th August 2007, 05:53 PM
why worry about DVD boot just copy iso immage in to Fat32 parttion and open iso using WINRAR ,magic Disc burn /images/boot.iso in to cd boot up select your Hard drive as source when system prompts .

To change boot parmeters press Delete key while your system bio. boots go to Adv.options and select fist boot priority CDROM press F10 Enter.

typomaster
13th August 2007, 07:44 PM
I am almost a noobie also, but I predict that your message will just confuse the original poster. What are the odds of someone who cannot figure out how to enter the bios, creating a FAT32 partition and doing as you say. I have used "gparted" to make FAT16 partitions and formated them, but the program does not seem to be able to format FAT32. FAT16 partitions are limited to under 4G, but it should be large enough.

To Galois:

typomaster
13th August 2007, 07:57 PM
To Galois
As far as I know, there are no keys that will change the bios once it is loaded. (Some virus writers may disagree with me) Getting into the bios has to be done within the first couple of seconds after you turn the computer on. If you watch the opening screen, it probably says which key enters the bios. Traditionally, it is the delete key, but it may be something else. Check the first viewable text on the screen. On my laptop it is a F2 key.

After you are in the bios, it is just a matter of finding what is the boot order and ensuring that CD boot is first (It probably is, which is why I suggested testing it with a Windows Installation disc,)

typomaster

galois
14th August 2007, 02:52 AM
To Galois
As far as I know, there are no keys that will change the bios once it is loaded. (Some virus writers may disagree with me) Getting into the bios has to be done within the first couple of seconds after you turn the computer on. If you watch the opening screen, it probably says which key enters the bios. Traditionally, it is the delete key, but it may be something else. Check the first viewable text on the screen. On my laptop it is a F2 key.

After you are in the bios, it is just a matter of finding what is the boot order and ensuring that CD boot is first (It probably is, which is why I suggested testing it with a Windows Installation disc,)

typomaster
I'm working on it, but I believe I can change the bio using grub.

Thanks for the help.