PDA

View Full Version : oppinions on dreamlinux?

BrasssMunkye
10th August 2007, 01:05 AM
yeah, i am getting curious about all of my options
(i really doubt i will ever leave fedora.)
(i mean, seriously, why would one leave fedora...)
btu dream linux looks nice, and its installer is kool because you can tweak settings b4 install :D
and seperate /home/ partition wilst installing etc..
and native beryl
and i also think ima try sabayon..
the only real questions i have for everyone are:
1. if you have experience with either of these distros
2. if you have, was it a good experience, any real problems, anything you really like?
3. what sort of package managers do they use?

thanks, i hope to see your input :D

JN4OldSchool
10th August 2007, 01:22 AM
never used dream linux but Sabayon is nice. The only thing I dislike is the package manager and I hear that has been improved this latest version. Dont get that "brand loyalty" thing with Linux, that is just silly. If I find a distro I like better than Fedora I'm gone. I dual boot with etch and run ubuntu on a couple installs. I have toyed with Gentoo, Zenwalk, MEPIS and several others for extended periods and I have tried about everything. Fedora just fits for me, but there are many great distros out there.

BrasssMunkye
10th August 2007, 01:48 AM
so, liek what can i use to install with sabayon? i mean, apt -get, yum?
.rpms, .deb.....
i just wanna know if there are noobfriendly install methods.

EDIT:

ok, so i tried dreamlinux..
i have some thoughts, i really didnt try it much, i mean, i could have done more than 5 mins on a live CD
but, it looks nice, the thing is, i mean, you can skin it so much, and make it look so nice...
but in the end..
its still XFCE. i mean, XFCE is clunky to me.
and it is debian based, so .deb and apt-get is what it rocks...

hmm, i think ill download sabayon tonight.
dont have the time to do it right now. i will post my findings tommorrow.
still, helpful input is needed.

John the train
10th August 2007, 11:10 AM
I'd agree with JN4, linux is linux, though looking at some of the Gnome v. KDE or Fedora v. Ubuntu threads you sometimes wouldn't think so! :eek:
Personally I like XFCE as I run older hardware and it's less resource heavy, though I prefer the Gnome weather applet, for instance.
As it happens, at the moment I'm running SAM Linux and Linux Mint Community Edition. SAM is .rpm, based on PClinux, Mint is debian based on Ubuntu, but they both use XFCE and synaptic package manager. In fact, the default desktop for Mint could be taken for Gnome at first glance ( see screenshot )

kc1di
10th August 2007, 12:01 PM
yeah, i am getting curious about all of my options
(i really doubt i will ever leave fedora.)
(i mean, seriously, why would one leave fedora...)
btu dream linux looks nice, and its installer is kool because you can tweak settings b4 install :D
and seperate /home/ partition wilst installing etc..
and native beryl
and i also think ima try sabayon..
the only real questions i have for everyone are:
1. if you have experience with either of these distros
2. if you have, was it a good experience, any real problems, anything you really like?
3. what sort of package managers do they use?

thanks, i hope to see your input :D

HI ,
I've never use Dreamlinux But have used many other Distros.. they all have their good and not so good points. it really depends on what your looking for in Linux. I tend to like Fedora and Debian the best.. just fits me I guess , but PCLinux OS and Ubuntu have their place also.. Would just give them a try for a few days each and choose the one that fits your needs /equipment the best.
Cheers!

bob
10th August 2007, 12:35 PM
With Sabayon, you'll find that the package manager is Kuroo, a front end for Emerge. Frankly, it was the main reason that I removed Sabayon so quickly. If you have a DVD burner and install as complete a version as you're likely to need, then updates are okay. However, I just have a CD-RW and installed the minimal version. Since Sabayon is a Gentoo distro, each package I wanted had to be compiled from source, a process that took hours at times and was just too painful for me.

Wayne
10th August 2007, 12:40 PM
Umm, no pain, no gain :D

Wayne

JN4OldSchool
10th August 2007, 03:16 PM
I'd agree with JN4, linux is linux, though looking at some of the Gnome v. KDE or Fedora v. Ubuntu threads you sometimes wouldn't think so! :eek:
Personally I like XFCE as I run older hardware and it's less resource heavy, though I prefer the Gnome weather applet, for instance.
As it happens, at the moment I'm running SAM Linux and Linux Mint Community Edition. SAM is .rpm, based on PClinux, Mint is debian based on Ubuntu, but they both use XFCE and synaptic package manager. In fact, the default desktop for Mint could be taken for Gnome at first glance ( see screenshot )

Shoot, I'm running an OC'd X2 4800 with 4GB RAM and nVidia 7800GT and I prefer XFCE. I was in the KDE camp but have come to face the fact that both KDE and Gnome are just unduly bloated. One of the main reasons I got away from windows in the first place. I hate redundant options. Probably what Brasssmunkye calls clunky is what I like about XFCE. I dont need 5 different ways to perform the same task. The XFCE settings are all in one place and easy to figure out and it can do everything I need. The funniest part is I never noticed how slow KDE and Gnome are till I started using XFCE on a regular basis. And e17 is even faster. But I feel e17 is too limited, even using thunar as a FM. I like Beryl and e17 doesnt allow for that. XFCE is still "standard", there is nothing "weird" about it. In other words if you can use Gnome you will be right at home with XFCE.

BrasssMunkye
10th August 2007, 06:43 PM
see, i dont like gnome either
i mean, its OK
but KDE is for me.
:D:D
sabayon first thoughts coming tonight

bbfuller
10th August 2007, 07:16 PM
I installed Sabayon on a spare machine the other evening.

Looked superb, works like any other Linux, took 2hours 34mins according to kuroo to update from the installed firefox to the latest version available! I got tired of waiting, went to bed and left it to it.

I don't think it would be sensible to update all the packages kuroo had available, I reckoned that if you took firefox as a median I was looking at some 400 hours.

Maybe that's not the way you are supposed to play with it, but it certainly gave me pause for thought.

That was on an Athlon 2600+ with 512MB memory and a 2Mbs internet connection.

bob
10th August 2007, 10:37 PM
Thunderbird takes just as long, btw. And a general update did run into many hours for me. Less than a day, but long enough for me to want to play with something else.

marcelkraan
10th August 2007, 10:42 PM
You also should try linux on a dreambox :-)
it's a satelite receiver and very cool