PDA

View Full Version : How to keep older kernels after update?

rgaelzer
8th August 2007, 06:08 PM
When I update the kernel using either pup or yumex, they always keep only the last 2 versions of the linux kernel.
This may create some inconveniences; for instance if you use VMPlayer, newer kernel versions may no longer allow compilation of a custom kernel module for VMware.

Is there a way to set pup/yumex to avoid getting rid of a chosen kernel version?

Thank you.

pete_1967
8th August 2007, 06:23 PM
In /etc/yum/pluginconf.d/installonlyn.conf change the number of 'tokeep=3' to what ever number of previous versions you want to keep.

fnmblot
8th August 2007, 07:48 PM
Thanks a million!

rgaelzer
8th August 2007, 08:00 PM
Thanks for the tips so far.

Is there no way to configure the installonlyn plugin so that it will keep a specific kernel version plus the n newest versions, where n is set by "tokeep=n"?

kirios
22nd August 2007, 11:22 AM
In /etc/yum/pluginconf.d/installonlyn.conf change the number of 'tokeep=3' to what ever number of previous versions you want to keep.
I installed from the Fedora 7 live CD and my pluginconf.d directory is empty. How do I create my own installonlyn.conf?

brr872002
22nd August 2007, 12:36 PM
/etc/yum/pluginconf.d/installonlyn.conf

[main]
enabled=1
# this sets the number of package versions which are kept
tokeep=3

kirios
23rd August 2007, 03:42 AM

[main]
enabled=1
tokeep=3
$ /etc/yum/pluginconf.d/installonlyn.conf
bash: /etc/yum/pluginconf.d/installonlyn.conf: No such file or directory
$ su -
# gedit /etc/yum/pluginconf.d/installonlyn.conf

Is that right?

brr872002
23rd August 2007, 05:40 AM
Yes. if file is not there open gedit save as /etc/yum/pluginconf.d/installonlyn.conf

kirios
23rd August 2007, 06:54 AM
Yes. if file is not there open gedit save as /etc/yum/pluginconf.d/installonlyn.conf
Thanks!

Was also wondering about the OP's other question (how to keep a specific kernel version available).

gtheaded
28th August 2007, 05:28 AM
tokeep=3

Hi, and what about grub? If I set the tokeep=5, will grub autoconfigure to let me choose to boot from any of the last five kernels?

Thanks a lot.

bbfuller
28th August 2007, 06:34 AM
Yes, it will, if you tap "enter" while the most current kernel is listed it will give you access to all the others.

Be aware though that my installonlyn.conf recently got overwritten, I think by an update of Yum itself, and I had to remake it.

..........and welcome to the forum by the way.

gtheaded
28th August 2007, 02:44 PM
Yes, it will,
my installonlyn.conf recently got overwritten, I think by an update of Yum itself, and I had to remake it...........and welcome to the forum by the way.
Thanks!!! I will try creating the installonlyn because it doesn't exist.

kirios
28th August 2007, 05:23 PM
Is it possible to keep only the default kernel and the latest kernel (i.e., without any of the other updated versions in between)?

rgaelzer
28th August 2007, 06:19 PM
Yes, it will, if you tap "enter" while the most current kernel is listed it will give you access to all the others.

Be aware though that my installonlyn.conf recently got overwritten, I think by an update of Yum itself, and I had to remake it.

..........and welcome to the forum by the way.

Mine too. Perhaps that should be considered a bug... if you don't remember to check on the file each time yum (yumex too?) is updated, the next time you upgrade the kernel, you'll lose all the previous saved kernels... that's what just happened with me...

rgaelzer
31st August 2007, 12:28 PM
Mine too. Perhaps that should be considered a bug... if you don't remember to check on the file each time yum (yumex too?) is updated, the next time you upgrade the kernel, you'll lose all the previous saved kernels... that's what just happened with me...

Well, just for the record, updating yumex did not alter the /etc/yum/pluginconf.d/installonlyn.conf file. It seems that only yum upgrades do that.

Seve
31st August 2007, 01:43 PM
Hello:
There was a change in the status of the installonlyn plug-in with the last released update of the yum package.
See this post for some more info. http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=165119

Seve

kirios
14th September 2007, 07:22 AM
When I update the kernel using either pup or yumex, they always keep only the last 2 versions of the linux kernel. This may create some inconveniences; for instance if you use VMPlayer, newer kernel versions may no longer allow compilation of a custom kernel module for VMware.

Is there a way to set pup/yumex to avoid getting rid of a chosen kernel version?
This thread may be helpful:
http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=166347

fnmblot
14th September 2007, 03:04 PM
Well, back to the original post, I updated yumex the other day, and now the fc6 yumex seems to be updated to the f7 version... it's no longer taking 20 minutes just to open... WooHoo!!!