PDA

View Full Version : PostgreSQL not working after recent S/W updates

stepher
7th August 2007, 02:29 AM
Hi all,

I ran into a problem with my DB software running on FC7. Up until a recent general s/w upgrade (not sure how many ago...maybe 3-4) my PostgreSQL server worked fine (connected to it from a WinXP system using PGAdmin). I hadn't connected to it for about a week and when I did, I could no longer get access from the WinXP system. I tried making a new connection (in PgAdmin), but no help. I was able to connect to it from a "localhost" connection thru PgAdmin on the FC7 box). Then I looked at the log for Postgres and discovered the following messages were generated when I started FC7 (and had been going on for a bit):

LOG: could not bind IPv4 socket: Cannot assign requested address
HINT: Is another postmaster already running on port 5432? If not, wait a few seconds and retry.
WARNING: could not create listen socket for "xxx.xxx.xxx.xx1"
HINT: Is another postmaster already running on port 5432? If not, wait a few seconds and retry.
WARNING: could not create listen socket for "xxx.xxx.xxx.xx1"
WARNING: could not create listen socket for "xxx.xxx.xxx.xx3"
WARNING: could not create listen socket for "xxx.xxx.xxx.xx4"
WARNING: could not create listen socket for "xxx.xxx.xxx.xx5"

I checked in "Services" to see if PostgreSQL was running, and it was/is. I also verified that PostgreSQL was the only service with a 5432 port.

My WinXP sys is at ....1 and FC7 is at ...2. I did do pings between the FC7 and WinXP systems (both ways) and the packets seem to xfer fine. I have not made any mods to the Postgres .conf files (pg_hba or postgres) for quite some time.

I noticed that a number of FC7 kernel updates had been done (but didn't notice any PostgreSQL updates). I'm sure many of those were security related and surmise that maybe this "battened down the hatches" in a way I wasn't aware.

Can anyone share some insight on this with me? Or, if there is somewhere I can look to see if any of the recent SELinux updates had any effect on existing security policies (I did make sure that port 5432 was still opened for PostgreSQL).

UPDATE: I have PostgreSQL on my WinXP system and thought I would try to connect from FC7 to WINXP. The startup log for WinXP PostgreSQL shows normal startup info (unlike the FC7 pg startup log) and cannot connect that way either. Ping still shows both systems as valid IP addrs. I am connected thru a DLink DI-624 router and have also upgraded the firmware and reconfirmed the systems can still be seen on the network. Problem is still there. HELP!!! If anyone ahs any clues about this.

Much thanks in advance.

Cheers...Steph