PDA

View Full Version : Rythymbox play .m4a?

Gauvenator
3rd August 2007, 06:17 PM
I'm using F7 x86_64 and I would like to be able to play .m4a files in Rythymbox. If someone could please direct me to a plug in, it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

FriedChips
3rd August 2007, 06:34 PM
Have you looked at amarok music player?? That is my personal favorite, I am still kinda new to fedora so I'm not sure if there is a plugin for m4a and rythmbox. If you have not ever tried amarok and want to see it in action, be sure to have the livna repository enabled.

yum install amarok amarok-extras-nonfree amarok-visualisations libvisual libvisual-plugins

I know it plays some itunes encoded songs i have which are m4u I believe... Not sure though. May be m4a

Hlingler
3rd August 2007, 06:36 PM
Hello:

I've never been able to get Rhythmbox to play .m4a files. For those, I use VLC (you may also need extra audio codecs if you haven't already installed them).

V

EDIT: Another option: get FireWing1's audio files converter: http://www.diffingo.com/content/view/13/47/lang,en/
It can convert m4a to other audio formats; convert the .m4a files to another format like mp3 or wav that Rhythmbox can play.

Gauvenator
3rd August 2007, 07:38 PM
How do I enable Livna?

karthikrg
3rd August 2007, 07:52 PM
it can play m4a.. install gstreamer off freshrpms instead of livna.. ull get m4a support in rhythmbox

Hlingler
4th August 2007, 06:40 AM
it can play m4a.. install gstreamer off freshrpms instead of livna.. ull get m4a support in rhythmboxActually, I installed gstreamer-plugins-bad-0.10.3-3.fc6.rf from Dries repo, and now my Rhythmbox plays m4a. That's the plugin that I was missing, and that's probably what the OP needs to install, too (not necessarily from Dries - gstreamer-plugins-bad is available from freshrpms, too).

Regards,
V

FriedChips
4th August 2007, 06:33 PM
go to livna's website and download and install the rpm file that corresponds with the fedora version you have installed. this will automatically configure yum to use it for searches and installs.