PDA

View Full Version : yum fails to retrieve mirrorlist

dbbd
3rd August 2007, 01:47 PM
Just finished a fresh install of FC6.
After I set up my networking and got firefox to work, I try to use yum.

yum fails to update. Opening http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=core-6&arch=x86_64
in firefox works fine. But yum gives:

[root@wick ~]# yum -y update
Loading "installonlyn" plugin
Setting up Update Process
Setting up repositories
Could not retrieve mirrorlist http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=core-6&arch=x86_64 error was
[Errno 4] IOError: <urlopen error (110, 'Connection timed out')>
Error: Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: core

Any ideas?

FriedChips
3rd August 2007, 02:47 PM
I have read a few of these in the last few hours I'm pretty sure those servers are down, or being serviced please be patient and try again later.

dbbd
3rd August 2007, 03:09 PM
I don't want to sound negative, but you did not bother to properly read the question. If you did you'd've noticed I did access the servers using firefox, and they're fine.

Anyway, the problem is the DNS. DHCP-client set my DNS server (in resolv.conf) to the DSL router address.
When I change resolv.conf to point to actual DNSes, yum works.

The only problem remains the dhcp-client script re-writing resolv.conf on boot, and I havn;t found a way to tell it what other name servers to add in there.

FriedChips
3rd August 2007, 03:30 PM
if you could not bother to be a ( your favorite word here ) I'd appreciate it... I am new to fedora and was just trying to be helpful... The information you just gave would have been useful in your first post

Eddd
3rd August 2007, 04:06 PM
That's weird, did you try clearing the cache?

dbbd
3rd August 2007, 04:44 PM
What's weird?
What cache do you refer to?

Hlingler
3rd August 2007, 06:21 PM
Hello:

He means: when you have such problems with yum, it is always a good idea to execute "yum clean all" first. This will clear yum's cache on your machine, allowing yum to start fresh, without possible stale cache data. Also, being able to see the mirrors page in your browser is no guarantee that the server(s) isn't too busy right now to serve you. Try again later. If you continue to have problems connecting, then it may be time to look into network/connection issues.

V