PDA

View Full Version : Number of questions...

Katabatic
3rd August 2007, 03:36 AM
Hey i finally installed F7 as my main OS and was wondering if you guys can answer some questions I would group into 1 post to save space on the boards

- How can i make it so when i am viewing directories in the GUI that double clicking doesnt open in a new window

-Can i change the desktop scroll color (like when you hold down you mouse to select multiple items)

-When i middle click my mouse in a web browser, it opens up a different page. how can i make it so it can be used as a scroll to move up and down the page quickly?

- Where can i view system information like harddrives and ram and such?

Thanks for any help

Wayne
3rd August 2007, 03:55 AM
Assuming you're using Gnome:

1. Open File Browser (Nautilus) and from the menu choose 'Edit > Prererences' then on the 'Behaviour' tab choose 'Always open in browser windows'

3. Don't push so hard on it :)

4. 'System > Administration > System Monitor' or 'Applications > System Tools > Disk Usage Analyser' or you can install hwbrowser for more details about your hardware.

Wayne

Katabatic
3rd August 2007, 04:26 AM
HAHa thanks for the help man. But for Number 3 ie "When i middle click my mouse in a web browser, it opens up a different page. how can i make it so it can be used as a scroll to move up and down the page quickly?"

I meant more like when i push down on it, it will do what it does in windows. That is it will keep scrolling up or down, depending where my mouse is. It is kind hard to explain. Anyone who has used it before knows what i maen

Wayne
3rd August 2007, 04:44 AM
I've just been playing with the mouse config controls in Firefox and while I can disable the opening of a new window when you push the middle mouse button I haven't found a way of making it scroll.

In Firefox type:

about:config

type "mouse" (without quotes) into the 'filter' field and hit enter. The top two entries for middlemouse sets the opening of new windows when pushing the mouse button. Set to 'false' to disable it.

Wayne

UnFleshed One
3rd August 2007, 05:17 AM
Install KDE instead of Gnome and Opera instead of Firefox :). Gnome is extremely bad to the point of not being usable.

(Flames ON :))

Wayne
3rd August 2007, 05:22 AM
Install KDE instead of Gnome and Opera instead of Firefox :). Gnome is extremely bad to the point of not being usable.

(Flames ON :))

Why bother, I'll just add you to my ignore list. You really ought to read the forum guidelines.

Wayne

UnFleshed One
3rd August 2007, 05:44 AM
Relax. Explicit flamebait can't be considered a valid flamebait, for it is discharged already.

PS
Didn't find anything applicable in guidelines.
PS1
Not that I care :).

stevea
3rd August 2007, 05:49 AM
On #2. To change the desktop selected color stuff ....

"Open System->Preferences->Look and Feel->Theme", click "Customoze" button. In the new window select the "Colors" tab. Double-click the "selected items x Background color swatch. ... do the obvious stuff on the way out.

Katabatic
3rd August 2007, 06:12 AM
Thanks again everyone for the hlep. i do have KDE but GNOME seems to be default for most systems so i just use that.

BLiZZaRD
3rd August 2007, 06:38 AM
I've just been playing with the mouse config controls in Firefox and while I can disable the opening of a new window when you push the middle mouse button I haven't found a way of making it scroll.

In Firefox type:

about:config

type "mouse" (without quotes) into the 'filter' field and hit enter. The top two entries for middlemouse sets the opening of new windows when pushing the mouse button. Set to 'false' to disable it.

Wayne

This one is so easy it is embarrassing (at least for me it was).

By default auto scrolling is disabled, for whatever reason. To enable it in Firefox go to:

Edit>>Preferences>>Advanced>>General tab

Check the box next to auto scroll and then "close"

That's it. :D

Wayne
3rd August 2007, 06:52 AM
This one is so easy it is embarrassing (at least for me it was).

By default auto scrolling is disabled, for whatever reason. To enable it in Firefox go to:

Edit>>Preferences>>Advanced>>General tab

Check the box next to auto scroll and then "close"

That's it. :D

You looked in preferences! That's cheating! :D

Wayne

BLiZZaRD
3rd August 2007, 06:54 AM
Sorry.. Windows habits.. I am still converting :D

Wayne
3rd August 2007, 07:06 AM
Sorry.. Windows habits.. I am still converting :D

Just kidding. Sometimes you get so used to looking in the config files that you forget to look in the obvious places for help :eek: Call it 'a senior moment' if you will :p

Wayne

Katabatic
3rd August 2007, 07:31 AM
Blah i feel like an idiot for not checking in prefs. Thanks. That is going to save a lot of agony. I found it going to random pages when i middle clicked. What exactly was it doing anyway?

BLiZZaRD
3rd August 2007, 07:50 AM
What it does is add a "www." and a ".com" around the last word you copied with your mouse (clipboard) or the last letter/word saved in a closed document. It then puts that whole string in the address bar and takes you there.
Why? I have no idea.

pete_1967
3rd August 2007, 09:48 AM
What it does is add a "www." and a ".com" around the last word you copied with your mouse (clipboard) or the last letter/word saved in a closed document. It then puts that whole string in the address bar and takes you there.
Why? I have no idea.

It's the way Linux works. Middle click is used for pasting, the 'www.' and '.com' bit are added by browser itself.

You can use middle-click pasting everywhere, just higlight a word (or a sentence etc) and middle click where you want to paste it (of course some apps do away with it nowadays so it no more works everywhere it used to).

BLiZZaRD
3rd August 2007, 12:06 PM
I just figured it out by testing, LOL never was a "middle clicker"

Trial and error brought me to my previous conclusion. I wasn't sure which piece added the www. and the .com, but it was there. :)