PDA

View Full Version : file descriptions

Wiles
2nd August 2007, 05:13 PM
i'm beginning to get quite a collection of ogg, mp3, and movie files.
is there a way to show a description of what is on the file before i open it? like, when i mouse over the file, it will tell me such:

macross_ep1.avi
Description:
Anime with transforming fighter planes. First episode ....

is there a plugin for nautilus, or perhaps another program that can do this?

Jman
3rd August 2007, 05:18 AM
id3 tags can save notes directly in a file, at least for mp3s. How to get them to show up on hover I don't know.

You can save notes for any file in Nautilus, look at it's properties or open notes in the side pane.

Wiles
4th August 2007, 01:03 AM
when i right click a file and add some notes in the properties, is there a way to display those notes, so if i browse a folder i can check the notes on each file one by one, without having to right click and select notes each time? i'd also be interested if there is a way to search thru the notes or meta data of files.

Jman
5th August 2007, 08:51 PM
When you use nautilus in browser mode you can add a side pane and switch it to notes view. In this screenshot (http://www.gnome.org/projects/nautilus/images/screenshot2.png) it is on the left side. Enable the side pan in the views menu. Then change it to notes with the arrow drop down.

beagle, tracker, and Google Desktop all search for files, and index metadata of a few formats.