PDA

View Full Version : Root Password Broken

Old_Midhurstian
2nd August 2007, 11:43 AM
I'm a total newbie so please be kind :)

I've been locked out of root acces from all types of login. Terminal, GUI and Temp SU Sessions all reject my correctly entered root PW. Am I totaly screwed here and facing a reload of fedora?

trueblue
2nd August 2007, 12:46 PM
You can try to change your root password using the single user mode:
1) boot grub
2) select the kernel you want to boot on and press 'e' for edit
3) add '1' at the end of the line and then press 'b' for boot
4) use passwd to change your root password

Old_Midhurstian
3rd August 2007, 10:14 AM
Thanks, trueblue. It got a little more complicated as Grub was being awkward but I got there eb=ventually and now have my root access back :)

nspmangalore
3rd August 2007, 02:48 PM
can anybody do that then?
i.e change my root password without logging in.
isnt it a flaw?

trueblue
3rd August 2007, 02:55 PM
Since this can only be done with a physical acces to the machine, I would say this is more a feature than a flaw ;)

However you can password protect grub to prevent this.

nspmangalore
3rd August 2007, 03:03 PM
i think it still is a flaw since an experinced linux user like you can easily hack into somebodys(my) system, rendering root passwd protection useless.:-)

passwd protection for grub may help. but then is there a way to change its password as well?:-b

gthill
3rd August 2007, 03:18 PM
You can always enable password on the bios, then the only way to get to the files is remove the harddrive., providing you don't have boot with dvd drive enabled.

trueblue
3rd August 2007, 03:58 PM
"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts."

Eugene H. Spafford, director of the Purdue Center for Education and Research in Information Assurance and Security.

Other solutions are only slowing attackers. :)

Hlingler
4th August 2007, 06:03 AM
Hello:

As far as I know, this: http://www.linux.com/articles/113746 is about the best that you can do, without encrypting the HDDs.

Regards,
V