PDA

View Full Version : Fedora 7 Another LCD detection bug.

bbehnam
2nd August 2007, 03:10 AM
Hi

I have installed Fedora 7 on a Asus Striker extreme, Nvidia 8800GTX, Core2Duo with a viewsonic vx2235wm LCD display

I had no problem with the install. Anaconda worked perfectly, and the install progressed as it should; however, when the install is almost complete and there is that last reboot before the Xlogin comes on I only get the OSD message that video is out of range.

I switched an old monitor (an Optiquest V95 19 inch monitor) and I hooked that up instead of the LCD using a DVI to VGA adapter. I was able to complete the install and reboot many times and get normal operation as expected ( like the Xlogin, browse the web, ...etc) using the old monitor.

I then did another test. Hooked the LCD back up again, rebooted, and even though I got the video out of range error again, I was able to type CTRL+ALT+F2 and log on to console as root. So the system is not hanging. It's just a display problem.

This to me indicates that this is a display configuration problem, and not an Nvidia driver issue. I think the proper timing, and resolution is not being detected for the viewsonic LCD.

I knew I was going to have issues with the install; but frankly I had expected network problems and I had resigned myself to spending a few days to make the networking function, but I did not expect a Display detection, configuration, and timing issue.

Linux in general and Fedora in particular should be a more mature product by now. I feel disappointed and let down :(

P.S. I see i'm not the only one with this problem. I also see no resolution. please help us all.

bob
2nd August 2007, 03:33 AM
Thread Closed. Please review the Guidelines and avoid multiple postings on the same topic.