PDA

View Full Version : problem booting ubuntu after installing fedora on a triple boot system

arifiqbal7
1st August 2007, 11:20 PM
Hi,
Recently i had installed Fedora 7 on on my system. i had windows xp and ubuntu 7.04 already on my drive. I had added ubuntu to boot loader during installation of Fedora with mount point as /dev/hda8. But I was not able to boot ubuntu anymore. Anyone please guide me for i am totally new to linux and still have to go a long way.
I used my live Ubuntu cd to get menu.lst from /boot/grub of Ubuntu and found out out these code from the list.

title Ubuntu,kernel 2.6.20-15-generic
root (hd0,7)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-15-generic root=UUID=e0d2187f-55f5-48ca-8406-8ba5bca74547 ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.20-15-generic
quiet
savedefault

title Ubuntu,kernel 2.6.20-15-generic(recovery mode)
root (hd0,7)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-generic root=UUID=e0d2187f-55f5-48ca-8406-8ba5bca74547 ro single
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.620-15-generic

title Ubuntu,memtest 86+
root (hd0,7)
kernel /boot/memtest86+.bin
quiet

I intended to write these code on the grub.conf on fedora bootloader as I had read somewhere else but it said that 'permission denied' to view the file. I tried to do the same with menu.lst and got the same response.
However I tried to put these code with grubedit during booting process and the Ubuntu booted successfully. My problem is that these code are not saved there and grub reverts back to what was there before editing. When i try to reboot to Ubuntu,i have to retype those code again. how can I save those codes permanently so as to I would not have to write it again?

bodhi.zazen
2nd August 2007, 01:10 AM
Boot Fedora

Open a terminal

Enter :
su -

Then the root password ...

Then as root,
nano /boot/grub/menu.lst

paste those lines in at the bottom, with the feodra and Windows stanzas ...

crtl-X to exit, type Y to save,

viola ...

Should be good to go.

1. Always back up system files before you edit them

2. you need to edit system files as root. Feora = su - ; Ubuntu = sudo

arifiqbal7
3rd August 2007, 02:01 AM
THX a lot,i got it.