PDA

View Full Version : vmware and licensing of XP

larryt
1st August 2007, 10:31 PM
Hi all,

I recently installed Fedora 7 into a very hot personal PC at my home. I also got (with the help of some advice from new friends here) vmware server running, and that in turn allowed me to install and run XP in a virtual machine window.

Happy happy joy joy

One concept that I have for the use of my new machine, is that I would create a XP install template as a vm machine that would be fully licensed and patched. I'm more then willing to buy ANOTHER XP license to allow me to run XP on this machine. I'll give Microsoft it's dues and it's money for that.

But I would like to use that template machine to replicate other XP VM machines. I'd like to have a XP machine for my games, another for editing my movies and pictures, etc. If at some point one of these XP machines gets to cluttered, then I can just remove it and re-create a new VM machine to take it's place.

My understanding from Microsoft's stand on any VM software is that they want a XP license for each and every VM machine. THAT, I'm just not willing to do. I don't mind paying once for a service, but I do mind being raped.

So here's the question. Once I license the template XP machine under VM ware and replicate it to clones, would Microsoft know of it's clones on my Fedora machine?

OK, I've got my fireprof underware on. Any -civil- comments are appreciated.

Larry

pete_1967
2nd August 2007, 12:59 AM
As long as you only update them 1 at the time and disable the 'Genuine Advantage' thingy (and any other MS 'helper' service) if you're running them at the same time, no they won't. Nor they will be able to know if you run them one at a time only.

Even if they did, I doubt they'd come knocking on your door.

As Jeff Raikes from Microsoft said: "If they're going to pirate somebody, we want it to be us rather than somebody else." Which makes sense if you think of it.