PDA

View Full Version : Connect to XP machine?

Brianlvb
1st August 2007, 08:30 PM
Hi,

I'm brand new to Linux. I'm trying to access my windows XP computer trough a wireless router with my laptop.

In xp I just opened the explorer and typed \\computername. How should I do it in fedora 7?

Thanks in advance.

Brianlvb
1st August 2007, 09:14 PM
I also want to access a directory on my laptop from my Windows xp installation.

ppesci
1st August 2007, 09:51 PM
Ok. you meed smb support, then you must to have installed the samba package. From a terminal as root type:

rpm -qa|grep samba

If there are no lines of output, you must install samba from repos. As root type:

yum install samba*

To comunicate to windows, there are several ways.
The easy way is using KDE. Get Konqueror (the default file mamager) and type in the URL:

smb://computername/sharename

You can use smbclient to do the work. From terminal type

smbclient //computername/sharename

where computername must be the net-bios name of your xp computer and sharename must to be the share name you created in the xp macine.

If you want a linux machine as a server, you must to configure samba first, check your firewall allows smb and nmb requests.

If you are a newbie, solve the first part first, that is use linux as client, the when you get success, try the second part, that is linux as a server.

HTH

Draciron
2nd August 2007, 12:29 AM
SMB4k is the network browser your talking about though using both the KDE and Gnome explore network tabs on Konquerer/nautilis will give you the same kind of functionality you had with windoze. As mentioned above you need to set up samba. You can create samba shares that will act just like a windoze share too the windoze machine. Another tool that you will probably want is WinSCP. It is like an ftp client but more secure and more robust. Very easy for transfering files and if that is all you are doing you probably just want to install WinSCP rather than set up Samba on your Linux machine.

Using KDE first start the LIsa daemon. If you don't have it installed use Yum-extender or Kyum too add it. Then click on
start
system menu
remote places
then add network place.
Either click on MSnetwork or Enter in the machines IP or if you've modified /etc/hosts the machine name. Then the share name. Don't include the //s as it is already done for you.

In Gnome click on
places
network
MSNetwork
Machine name
Then you will have a list of shares.

mad6c
4th August 2007, 12:17 AM
When using Gnome (places->connect to server->Windows Share) where do these get mounted, so I can access them through the command line?

nspmangalore
4th August 2007, 03:23 AM
how do i share my linux folders so somebody else (with a windows machine) can access them?

Draciron
4th August 2007, 06:27 AM
Samba will let Windoze see Linux shares

ppesci
4th August 2007, 06:49 AM
You must configure the smb service. To begin to understand, see the file /etc/samba/smb.conf

With the samba packages comes some useful documentation too. Read them