PDA

View Full Version : GUI apps don't save settings

Hobb3s
1st August 2007, 04:17 PM
I've noticed some difficulties with several applications that don't save the changes that I make.
I've just recently installed Fedora 7 and I'm using KDE as the desktop manager. When I go to edit the firewall through the GUI supplied I attempt to add a new port to allow access on. It seems to appear in the window fine and I click apply, then Ok. When I reopen the firewall GUI the port is no longer listed, nor was it saved into the configuration.
I noticed the same thing with Samba configuration. I attempted to make the share 'visible' using the samba gui, but it would not keep the setting. In this case I went into the .conf file for samba and found that the visibility setting was set correctly but it was commented out. 3 times, once for each time I had tried to set it visible in the gui.
Finding out this, I did the same for the firewall, and editing the iptables at the command line, but I would like to have the GUI working.

Are these known bugs, or is there something that I am missing to allow for the gui apps to save configuration settings?
Thanks,
Greg.

pete_1967
1st August 2007, 06:09 PM
Use `system-config-securitylevel-tui` from command line for firewall.

Don't know about Samba if there's terminal gui for it, haven't used it for years now but config file used to be easy to configure.

Yes, there seems to be a bug in graphical tools in F7.

[eddit]oops, gave you network tui first[/edit]

Hobb3s
1st August 2007, 06:30 PM
Cool, thanks for the reply. It's just good to know that it's not necessarily something I messed up.