PDA

View Full Version : System>Prefs>Personal>Keyboard Shortcuts. Two problems / questions

SideshowMel
31st July 2007, 06:11 PM
I mapped my multimedia keys in Fedora 7 running Gnome using System>Prefs>Personal>Keyboard Shortcuts.

The volume and mute keys all work fine, but I've run into two problems.

First:

That Keyboard Shortcuts windows used to show several more possible actions than it now shows. For example, I used to be able to map a keystroke to open a terminal window, but now that feature has "disappeared" (and doesn't work, either). I logged in as another user, and the "Open Terminal" has returned as an option. How do I bring it back for my normal user login?

Second:

As I said, I successfully mapped the multimedia keys, including the Play/Pause, Stop, and Next/Previous Track keys. While they show up in the Keyboard Shortcuts window just fine, they don't seem to do anything. I'm thinking I need to somehow designate EXACTLY which application to use to play/pause, etc? I primarily use the VLC Media Player, but it doesn't matter which media player I use, those buttons don't seem to work. Can anybody tell me how to set that up?

Many Thanks.

grassmonk
1st August 2007, 12:49 AM
I mapped my multimedia keys in Fedora 7 running Gnome using System>Prefs>Personal>Keyboard Shortcuts.

The volume and mute keys all work fine, but I've run into two problems.

First:

That Keyboard Shortcuts windows used to show several more possible actions than it now shows. For example, I used to be able to map a keystroke to open a terminal window, but now that feature has "disappeared" (and doesn't work, either). I logged in as another user, and the "Open Terminal" has returned as an option. How do I bring it back for my normal user login?

Are you running Beryl/Compiz/something besides Metacity? AFAIK, shortcuts like "Open Terminal" only appear in the Keyboard Shortcuts when Metacity is running as the window manager, and only work when Metacity is running. Compiz Fusion, for example, has its own "Open Terminal" setting.

Second:

As I said, I successfully mapped the multimedia keys, including the Play/Pause, Stop, and Next/Previous Track keys. While they show up in the Keyboard Shortcuts window just fine, they don't seem to do anything. I'm thinking I need to somehow designate EXACTLY which application to use to play/pause, etc? I primarily use the VLC Media Player, but it doesn't matter which media player I use, those buttons don't seem to work. Can anybody tell me how to set that up?

I want to know the answer to this question, too. I posted over on the Ubuntu forums about this but haven't gotten an answer yet. Ubuntu has a "Launch Calculator" shortcut that I would like to be able to duplicate in Fedora.

SideshowMel
1st August 2007, 06:01 PM
First:
Yes, I'm using Beryl, and the other account I was logged in as doesn't. That's the problem on the first one.

Second:
If you find out, let me know! Thanks.