PDA

View Full Version : Edges of screen are sharp, center is blurry, X restart fixes the problem...?

shadowwyvern
30th July 2007, 11:28 PM
After coming home from work today, I turned on my LCD monitor (computer was already on), and noticed something a little off: everything was blurry. Odd, it's an LCD with a DVI connection to my video card (a 7600GT)... Uopn closer examination, I noticed that only the middle of the screen exhibited this, the edges did not. The transition was noticable across a standard width gnome terminal window (LCD is 1600x1200). I also observed a dotted line along the right edge of the screen. I did not think to check if that line was present on all workspaces, nor did I think to take a picture, but this phenomenon was unmistakable and present on all workspaces. My first remedy was to restart X, whcih worked like a dream, and all is good. But what happened here? X had been running for a little over 2 days. Any ideas? Should I just write it off (I tend to get a little bit anxious when things start breaking for no reason, regardless of how easy they are to fix :) )? Thanks for your time.

lmo
31st July 2007, 04:22 AM
How old is the monitor? Sometimes odd video behavior may precede the final puff of smoke.

shadowwyvern
31st July 2007, 09:19 PM
Monitor is merely a little over a year old, a Samsung 204B, and since that post I ahve not experienced the problem. My video card has always been a little wonky though (hangs the system in games for ~30 sec soemtimes, followed by a complete recovery), but no artifacts from it or anythign like that.