PDA

View Full Version : Drive Clone For Dummies

Rdwksw
30th July 2007, 10:48 PM
I am a new Linux User. I have downloaded and installed Fedora6 and have been working wth it for two weeks.
I have the basics working. MP3's play, Videos work, and a few other things. I have installed this on a 10G drive and it is full. I would like to clone this current setup to a 80G drive which i have in the computer set as a slave.

I have partitioned it using Fdisk (MsDos) and it does not appear to be recognized. I have been reading a few how to pages on this and it mentions Fdisk for Linux I am looking for this program and have not found it yet. I understand clean install to be preferrable to an upgrade or clone. I want to know how to clone and or upgrade Linux.

Clean installs are easy most of the time. there are some situations where clone or upgrade are preferred. I have found Gparted and it automatically closes after opening. I suspect low disk space to be the problem. (30Mb left free) I have used Fdisk in MsDos before and would like to work the Linux one as well

Any information on where i should look? I have used Microsoft for years and learning linux is like learning another language (in more ways than one). I am trying to learn however.

Any Help Appreciated. :confused:

LLS
31st July 2007, 02:57 AM
I have a little time, if you want to try and accomplish this start by downloading gparted,"fdisk for fedora", as root
yum -y install gparted fire up this nice program and create a partition on this slave drive at least as big as or better yet, 5 gb bigger than your original disk and format it ext3. Once changes applied, Then Do this to get your hdd information and post it back here.
/sbin/fdisk -l
Then as root

dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb1 bs=1024kwith hda and hdb labeled how it is labeled in your fdisk above, it could be sda, sdb1 or what ever.
Then after disk activity is done, applied, reverse the master / slave order of the two disks on the cable "and jumpers on the backs of drives"
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6603_7-5118840-3.html?tag=nav
or just remove the first drive and set the 2nd up as master "and it's jumpers".
By the way I just performed this operation on my system just to test the instructions and 2nd drive booted perfectly and seems intact having copied "mirrored" all files including the ones on an extended partition, I am using it right now.

Rdwksw
1st August 2007, 02:31 AM
I have installed gparted as shown above. I am running it GUI? it opens momentarily and then automatically closes.
I have tried this a few times. I am clearing a few Unused programs off to get some more room on the drive. I am not showing more than 23Mb in space left.

can i run this in terminal? or should i be doing that now?

sej7278
1st August 2007, 07:34 AM
try acronis true image