PDA

View Full Version : music hidden in linux?

dcam
30th July 2007, 05:19 AM
Hi,

I find that when fedora 7 (2.6.22.1-27.fc7) comes out of suspend it often plays this music which I recorded with my phone:

http://www.aaa.net.au/campbell/weird.mp3

When this happens, the keyboard doesn't work. The mouse works, but not the keyboard. But if I unplug the keyboard and plug it in again, it does work.

Does anybody have any ideas about the origin of this music? It sounds a bit like the X-files.

Is it meant to indicate some error?

leadgolem
30th July 2007, 05:54 AM
If my system did that, I would be looking for gremlins. Especially with the creepy audio clip.:)

Seriously though, it sort of sounds like a heat alarm. Probably a temporarily confused sensor coming out of suspend. Could be a voltage alarm. That would explain the non-functional keyboard. I assume this is a usb keyboard? It seems likely that either your power supply or motherboard isn't providing sufficient voltage to the usb until something has been plugged into it to "wake up" that circuit. In slightly less confusing terms, the usb controller probably isn't coming out of suspension properly. When you plug something into it, it then triggers the activation of the controller.

dcam
30th July 2007, 06:12 AM
No, it isn't a USB keyboard - it plugs into the PS2 connector.

It is a notebook, so it has a built-in keyboard and I'm connecting an external keyboard too.

The sound is coming out of the speakers so if it were some kind of alarm, which part of linux does it, and where is it configured?

stevea
30th July 2007, 06:36 AM
I can name that song in 6 notes.

That noise happens when there is a problem in the suspend/resume. Obviously it's your KB resume tha tis the problem.

Check the logs in /var/log and scan for the problem.

[edit]
If you go to the power management tool, system->preferences->system->power management) and select the third tab you'll see a check-box for "use sound to notify in case of error".

dcam
30th July 2007, 07:32 AM
ok....

Below is a link to the text from /var/log/messages, beginning with the suspend on the evening of the 29th, and the resume the next morning.

http://www.aaa.net.au/campbell/log.txt

Nothing leaps out at me concerning the keyboard not working....

That last one would be when I plugged in the keyboard

beredix
2nd October 2007, 09:35 AM
Got similar problem, don't use external keyboard often enough for it to be a real problem for me though.
But the effect of the sound on people around me has been interesting ;)
We have the same errors (marked in bold), after what i can see in the log.
There's a couple of bugs in ubuntu with similar error messages, related to network interfaces not being correctly up/down, but i don't know enough about the suspend/resume cycle in Fedora to test it.

System is a HP/Compaq nx6310 upgraded from fedora 6.

Cut&Paste from my messages file with possible problems in bold:
Oct 2 09:57:52 jnlaptop kernel: Suspending console(s)
Oct 2 09:57:53 jnlaptop gnome-power-manager: (joni) An unknown error occured code='32' quark='g-exec-error-quark'
Oct 2 09:57:54 jnlaptop hcid[2900]: HCI dev 0 up
Oct 2 09:57:55 jnlaptop gnome-power-manager: (joni) Resuming computer
Oct 2 09:57:56 jnlaptop hcid[2900]: Device hci0 has been added
Oct 2 09:57:56 jnlaptop gnome-power-manager: (joni) hibernate failed
Oct 2 09:57:56 jnlaptop hcid[2900]: Starting security manager 0
Oct 2 09:57:56 jnlaptop hcid[2900]: Device hci0 has been activated
Oct 2 09:57:57 jnlaptop kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Synchronizing SCSI cache
Oct 2 09:57:57 jnlaptop kernel: eth1: Going into suspend...

dcam
2nd October 2007, 11:45 AM
I have created a bug report at https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=250683 on this matter, and I urge anyone who finds this problem to update that case!!!