PDA

View Full Version : partitioning question

stlouis1
29th July 2007, 09:57 PM
well, i'm sure ill get flamed for asking this, not so much because of the nature of the question, but the reasoning behind it

i downloaded suse and ubuntu, and i was going to tripple boot them on my laptop along with F7, but i need to shrink the F7 partition to make 2 more for suse and ubuntu

pretty much, i want to switch my desktop over to linux and get away from windows on my machines. cuz i figure with wine and codega i should be able to run most of the games id want just fine, not that i game much anyway. but i know linux can game as much as i need to. and i've been finding that for what i do, alot of it is working better in linux

the other thing too, is im looking at building a mediacenter pc, and i found that theres a ubuntu media center that id like to try before just slapping vista ultimate on. be easier to to network if all the systems were running linux

bob
29th July 2007, 10:06 PM
If you installed as ext2 or ext3, Gparted Live can shrink it for you: http://gparted.sourceforge.net/features.php I haven't used LVM for awhile but I do see that Fedora7's got a LVM modification tool under System > Administration. You should read up on that before attempting anything. http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/f7/en_US/sn-partitioning-lvm.html And, as always... back it up first!!!!

BTW, Ubuntu's going to want to install it's own grub on the mbr. Far easier to let it, since it will find Fedora and SuSE and save you some configuring later on.

stlouis1
29th July 2007, 11:07 PM
theres nothing on the thing to backup. its more of a testing system atm.

and from what you said about ubuntu, im assuming i should install it last?

bob
30th July 2007, 12:46 AM
Since there's nothing to save, you might as well repartition the whole drive to split it up evenly or however you prefer. Yes, I'd install SuSE, then Fedora, then Ubuntu. I'd use ext3 instead of LVM for Fedora since then the other distros can see the Fedora swap partition and utilize it instead of having two swaps. Furthermore, I'd install Fedora's grub on the root partition rather than the mbr (check advanced options when you find the bootloader install part).

So, here's the reasons:

Ubuntu will easily find SuSE and Fedora; the reverse is not necessarily true.

SuSE and Ubuntu seldom have kernel changes, while Fedora uses kernels like cheap sneakers. Ubuntu will allow you to access your other distros right from it's desktop, but after the first kernel change, you'll be modifying Ubuntu's /boot/grub/menu.lst to show the right Fedora kernel. Now, you can continue to do that as kernels change, or you can modify Ubuntu's /etc/fstab to remove the UUID number that Ubuntu's assigned and change /mnt (whatever) to /dev/sd(whatever). Then, change the menu.lst entry to:

title Fedora
root (hdx,x) < put in the hard drive number & partition
rootnoverify (hdx,x)
chainloader +1

So, from then on, when you boot Fedora, you'll pass the grub from Ubuntu's grub to the latest Fedora grub and automatically boot the newest kernel. (Gee, that was clear as mud, huh?)

stlouis1
30th July 2007, 01:26 AM
yes, definitely clear as mud, not like crystal, im a newb here, throw me a bone. sorry.

but i already have fedora install, i just want to shrink that partition, i figure the risks should be the same as shrinking windows partitions. anyway, i was going to install suse, and then ubuntu.

i just want to toy around with different distros before i pick one for sure to put on my desktop. but im pretty comfortable with fedora, i have alot of bookmarks on guides and stuff there, took me a while to figure out, being a tech for MS....its all new, but im learning.....if i find myself spending another several months finding docs for another distro, im sure ill end up sticking with fedora, but all the guys at work keep asking me why not suse or ubuntu, lol......

whats LVM? is that why when i go to storage, i cant see my hard drive there? and browse it like a normal drive?

bob
30th July 2007, 01:35 AM
Here's the info on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logical_Volume_Manager_(Linux) Better yet; ttps://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/sysadmin-guide/ch-lvm-intro.html

stlouis1
30th July 2007, 01:41 AM
oh, i thought it was a different filesystem altogether. thats one of my few irritations with fedora, is when i go to storage, i can see a cd thats in the drive, or an external drive, but not my filesystem

bob
30th July 2007, 01:49 AM
Click on the Computer icon and look at 'Filesystem'.

stlouis1
30th July 2007, 01:54 AM
i dont have a computer icon........maybe thats my problem

stlouis1
4th August 2007, 10:37 PM
well, i backed up my stuff last night and just wiped fedora off and took a stab at ubuntu. spent about 3 hours on it, got everything working. i think some of it had to do with already having some links to fixes and knowing what programs i used on fedora. but pretty much, i've almost got everything i want working the way it should

i decided to dump fedora entirely and not dual boot because it pretty well because fedora started diong wierd stuff. if i left a card in the flash card reader it wouldnt automount on startup. same thing with cd's when i was trying to install games. basically it was just crapping out on.

but im pretty sure im sticking to kubuntu now, took me 3 hours to get it all setup, fedora took me like a week or more. im such a trader ;)

i noticed too, on kubuntu, i dont have a computer icon anywhere either, maybe its a KDE thing? i have storage, but it doesnt list my hard drive in there

bob
4th August 2007, 11:35 PM
Well, nothing wrong with Ubuntu/Kubuntu. If it works for you and you like it, by all means use it. There's always the option to try a later version of Fedora if you want.

stlouis1
4th August 2007, 11:54 PM
lol, yeah, as soon as theres an automatix for fedora, ill probly go back, lol, i think thats one thing that did it for me with kubuntu. but i figure too, since im building a media center pc, i might jsut be able to get ubuntu media center working

i need to figure out how to use the network sharing still, im pretty sure i can wing that though

i also noticed kubuntu boots up way faster, so thats another pro. but i guess fedora being teh first distro i figured out how to get anywhere with, deserves props for getting me started.

i was looking for (k)ubuntu forums, and from what i found though, none of them seemed to have as much info as fedoraforums here, so i think im gonna miss this community, or ill keep asking questions, i noticed some stuff is pretty similar