PDA

View Full Version : Fedora equiv Debian

marcrblevins
29th July 2007, 09:25 PM
I vmwared CentOS & Debian days ago. Used vmware-server package.

Planning to learn Debian. Hey, I'm not leaving Fedora!

Guess there is Debian lovers here besides running Fedora.

Not sure which is Debian's official forum when I googled for it. Too many listed. Went to www.debian.org and there is no link for forum. Odd?

Also googled for:
Fedora equiv Debian

I'm aware apt-get is like yum.

What is chkconfig and services equiv for Debian?

PilotJLR
29th July 2007, 10:19 PM
This is a good resource: http://forums.debian.net/
I feel ubuntu forums are also good, since ubuntu is very similar to debian (since it's based on debian unstable).

To start and stop services, you have to call the sysV script directly. For chkconfig, you can either use update-rc.d or manually symlink.

marcrblevins
30th July 2007, 06:34 AM
Oh boy, asking for trouble. RedHat flav is so friggin easy. Looks hard when no service or chkconfig exists, not badmouthing Debian. Just another Live n Learn process.

Thanks for sharing the weblink.

Enjoy

sailor
30th July 2007, 09:49 PM
I am using F7 (desktop), FC6 (laptop) and Debian 4 (2nd desktop)...if you go to the "support" section at debian.org you will find the listing for the forum and other sites...I am impressed with Debian, after several failed installs...:p

John the train
31st July 2007, 08:37 AM
You might try a search on this forum too, Leigh ( if I remember correctly ) had quite a long thread in the Community Lounge on Debian Etch, several of our people were trying it at the same time, so it may have some useful info.