PDA

View Full Version : Mounting LVM drives after a reinstall

cadfael
29th July 2007, 02:45 PM
Folks,

Somehow I destablized my FC6 box to the point where it wouldn't stay up more than five or ten minutes without going into a kernel panic. Most of my important data was on two 250g IDE drives that had been combined using LVM, while the OS was on a third 80g drive.

I reinstalled FC6 on the 80g drive, assuming that I could just mount the LVM'd drives at a later time. But really I have no idea how to do this.

Can anyone point me to the right docs or give me some pointers? I don't even know what information I need to know before I attempt this. Right now I just want to get the data copied off onto a network share.

SlowJet
29th July 2007, 03:18 PM
Is the dta drives on a seperate volume group - the default for the system is VolGroup00.
If the data is on another VolGroup then you can use a livecd from FC6 and mount the Logical Volumes containing the data.
cd /
vgs
lvs
# to show names
vgchange -a y VG01
# to activate for mounting

/mkdir /mnt/myfc6data
cd /mnt
mount /dev/mapper/VG01-LV01 /mnt/myfc6data

cd myfc6data
ls
cd home # assuming the /home is the data dir but can be anything
ls
cd useryou

#your there

SJ

SlowJet
29th July 2007, 03:24 PM
Actually, it doesn't matter of if the vg is just 00 or 2 separate if the disk and f/s is good.
It can be mounted because it would be the only VG on the live system. (vs. the duplicate vg00 problem from default installs.)

SJ