PDA

View Full Version : Hylafax - marisdembovskis - HELP!! - can't find localhost:4559

PatMcLJr
28th July 2007, 06:23 PM
OK this one place where Windows is MUCH better the any Linux distro, sending a FAX!!!

I used the tips from marisdembovskis, and THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! It all looks good, I got this:

[root@localhost ~]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/hylafax restart
Shutting down HylaFAX queue manager (faxq): [ OK ]
Shutting down HylaFAX server (hfaxd): [ OK ]
Starting HylaFAX queue manager (faxq): [ OK ]
Starting HylaFAX server (hfaxd): [ OK ]
Restarting HylaFAX modem manager (faxgetty): [ OK ]
[root@localhost ~]# faxstat
Can not reach server at host "localhost", port 4559.

Note the faxstat has a problem finding the host, guess it's the hylafax program?
I tried to open 4559 in the firewall and clicked the check box for the http and https but no luck yet. I still have SELinux on and I am using FC6. I googled and googled but I couldn't find much info on how to get this working. I dug trough the posts here too but I couldn't figure out what to do next. And of course I poked around a bit at hylafax but honestly, if your not using Debien, don't bother, and it's kinda like reading a man page, if the man page is helpful for you, you probably didn't need it anyway.

Also, I don't have to use hylafax. If there is a easier way to get the fax service working, please to direct me that way? I am no guru, I need it to be do able by a common person like me :)

Linux/fedora/ubuntu/whatever can be so FRUSTRATING!!! You know there is a way to get things working but finding the answers can be very difficult.

Any tips?
Thank You for reading,
Pat Jr

PolyphemusMoth
14th August 2007, 07:28 AM
Yes. Very frustrating. I have currently installed Hylafax (FC6) and can't seem to get the ball rolling. I've asked people here for help, but my plea has fallen on deaf ears.

PatMcLJr
14th August 2007, 03:14 PM
it's not hylafax but you can get it working with a modem.
try efax-gtk I compiled it and can send a fax now. I have to print the document to postscript file and then open efax-gtk and load it up for sending. It is supposed to be able to work like a cups printer over a socket (what ever that is) but I can't get that to work. Also, I have to chmod 660 my /dev/ttyS0 every time I want to use it I can't get it to stick in my udev rules.

I'll tell you all I know about efax-gtk, it aint much, but maybe you can get your fax going?

Best of Luck,
Pat Jr.