PDA

View Full Version : [Problem] Building kernel 2.6.22.1-33 from sources fails.

Alex/AT
28th July 2007, 02:06 PM
Have done everything as before with 2.6.21. Created buildtree, rpm -Uvh'ed the src.rpm. ran rpmbuild -bb with the new prepared config and proper target architecture (x86_64).

One strange thing: yum-builddep on src.rpm did not download anything. That may be cause of all this.

I get plenty of errors and warnings on build time. Most of them are typical:

error: cannot size expression

So, the 2.6.22 kernel can't be build. Can you tell me where the problem may lie please?

gylee
2nd August 2007, 05:31 AM
I also wonder about all these warnings and errors.

I tried to rebuild the kernel from the SRPM. Since I use a MacBook Pro, I need to apply the so-called MacTel patches and enable the option CONFIG_USB_HIDINPUT_POWERBOOK=y so that my Fn key can work.
Then, I simply ran rpmbuild -ba, and tons of warnings and errors appeared (many "cannot size expression"). The RPMs were generated though and worked. I compiled for x86_64 version.

Have done everything as before with 2.6.21. Created buildtree, rpm -Uvh'ed the src.rpm. ran rpmbuild -bb with the new prepared config and proper target architecture (x86_64).

One strange thing: yum-builddep on src.rpm did not download anything. That may be cause of all this.

I get plenty of errors and warnings on build time. Most of them are typical:

error: cannot size expression

So, the 2.6.22 kernel can't be build. Can you tell me where the problem may lie please?

genneth
2nd August 2007, 12:59 PM
Actually, is there any interest in getting a "stock" MacIntel kernel together, and having a public repo available for it? I'm currently maintaining my own kernel, which is basically the same as yours, except for the extra inclusion of a 16K kernel stack patch required to make ndiswrapper happy (i.e. not panic the kernel). I could easily make my kernels available, which would save quite a bit of duplication of effort?

Sparksh
2nd August 2007, 11:47 PM
I just tried to build 2.6.22.1-41 with exactly the same results:
A constant stream of warnings and errors.

To investigate the idea that it might have been caused by the
failure of yum-builddep, I tried the distribution kernel source
version 2.6.21-1.3194.

When I ran yum-builddep on that one, it also reported "Nothing to
done" but the kernel built correctly.

Next, I tried to build the 2.6.22.1-41 on a completely fresh install
of Fedora 7. I did the installation, ran yum update, and then
repeated the attempt to build the kernel. I got the same results:
nearly every status line was an error or warning.

I also tried reverting to the gcc34 and g34++ compiler.
Again, the same errors and warnings.

So it would appear that the 2.6.22-1-41 kernel source package
is somehow hoarked...

gylee
3rd August 2007, 04:51 AM
Genneth, it would be great to have a public repo for MacTel kernels that are rebuilt from the official Fedora SRPM. That would keep all the patches included by Fedora intact. And also, IMHO, the naming should be the same as the official Fedora kernels so that kernel modules from Livna (e.g nvidia, madwifi, fglrx) would not have problems finding dependencies.

Actually, is there any interest in getting a "stock" MacIntel kernel together, and having a public repo available for it? I'm currently maintaining my own kernel, which is basically the same as yours, except for the extra inclusion of a 16K kernel stack patch required to make ndiswrapper happy (i.e. not panic the kernel). I could easily make my kernels available, which would save quite a bit of duplication of effort?

genneth
3rd August 2007, 11:05 AM
On topic: it seems that the errors aren't harmful -- all the modules are built correctly and packaged.

Off topic: the only problem is that I've also got a 16K stack patch, needed for ndiswrapper to work properly. Unfortunately, this also make external kernel modules cry, requiring a rebuild of them too. Alternative, someone else can build the kernels, and I can host?