PDA

View Full Version : kernel-2.6.22.1-33.fc7 breaks "Determining IP info for eth0" at boot?

NoSkill
27th July 2007, 06:50 PM
I've just updated to kernel-2.6.22.1-33.fc7. The bootup hangs at Determining IP information for eth0... and won't progress any further. I have to use CTRL-F1 to switch to a console and CTRL-ALT-DEL to restart the computer, but the problem still remains :(

If I use my previous kernel-2.6.22.1-27.fc7 then the bootup is fine and progresses normally.

Anyone else having the problem?

[edit: In case you're wondering, the eth0 is connected to my ADSL2 modem]

SlowJet
27th July 2007, 07:10 PM
Did you do the other updates?

# rpm -qa dhc*
dhcdbd-2.7-5.fc7
dhcpv6_client-0.10-42.fc7
dhclient-3.0.5-38.fc7

If not those above then do
yum update dhc*

gthill
27th July 2007, 07:43 PM
yes, I also have had a few issues since upgrading to kernel-2.6.22.1-27.fc7
My server should issue fixed ip addresses according to the mac address yet after upgrading my laptop sometimes it is gets an ip address in the open range or as has happened on a couple of occasions it gets an ip address in the 169.xxx.xxx.xxx range instead of the 192.168.1.7 as specified. My Desktops are rarely rebooted and I haven't updated them since kernel-2.6.21-1.3228.fc7 so I don't know if they will be affected. My home server is still fc5 and I just leave that alone, only monitoring intrusion attempts. It seems kind of weird but a service network restart usually fixes it plus I have a script to reconfigure ip addresses depending on the network I am using (for work I need a fixed 130.xxx address ). My server has issued faultlessly until this latest kernel upgrade on my laptop. But then this kernel has given me more niggling issues than I have ever had before, which is generally none.

My laptop
[root@lap1 ~]# rpm -qa | grep dhc
dhcdbd-2.7-5.fc7
dhclient-3.0.5-38.fc7
libdhcp6client-0.10-42.fc7
libdhcp-1.24-4.fc7
libdhcp4client-3.0.5-38.fc7
[root@lap1 ~]#

NoSkill
27th July 2007, 07:45 PM
Did you do the other updates?

# rpm -qa dhc*
dhcdbd-2.7-5.fc7
dhclient-3.0.5-38.fc7

If not those above then do
yum update dhc*

I didn't have dhcpv6_client-0.10-42.fc7 installed, so I installed that. But unfortunately the problem remains :(

I suspect there was too little testing between the two kernel updates (less than a week?) and this is a fault that has been created after something else got fixed.

I haven't seen what happens if I don't connect the modem (should say something like "Check cable") but I'll have to wait till later on to find out.

For the moment, I have grub set to start my "older" 2.6.22.1-27,fc7 kernel first until this gets sorted out.

NoSkill
27th July 2007, 07:56 PM
dhcdbd-2.7-5.fc7
dhclient-3.0.5-38.fc7
libdhcp6client-0.10-42.fc7
libdhcp-1.24-4.fc7
libdhcp4client-3.0.5-38.fc7

Yep. Same list as mine. I'm a bit confused... Are you using kernel-2.6.22.1-33.fc7 or kernel-2.6.22.1-27.fc7?

The 33 breaks my rig, but 27 works fine.

gthill
27th July 2007, 07:58 PM
I am updating to kernel...33.fc7 at this moment, I'll let you know if I still have problems after

NoSkill
27th July 2007, 08:00 PM
I am updating to kernel...33.fc7 at this moment, I'll let you know if I still have problems after

Cheers, mate... So if I don't hear from you for a while, umm, I'll know what happened :D

gthill
27th July 2007, 08:04 PM
I still have my desktop, I don't update that if I have any issues with my laptop update.

lmaurin
27th July 2007, 08:07 PM
i have the same problem with 2.6.22.1-33.fc7

if you use static IP, this problem can be bypassed

adrianx
27th July 2007, 08:24 PM
... the same 2.6.22.1-33.fc7 problem. For some reason, after updating nfts-3g, my fstab entries became invalid?

NoSkill
27th July 2007, 08:33 PM
i have the same problem with 2.6.22.1-33.fc7

if you use static IP, this problem can be bypassed

Phew, so it is more that just my rig.

Use static IP. <- Now this is kind of stuff is new to me... How would I set that up? I know my modem uses 192.168.1.1 as the address my computer connects to it. But I don't (didn't) set that up - Fedora "finds" it (my modem) at that address when I boot up my system. (I'm guessing that's why it gets broken by the new kernel)

NoSkill
27th July 2007, 08:35 PM
... the same 2.6.22.1-33.fc7 problem. For some reason, after updating nfts-3g, my fstab entries became invalid?

Well, I can tell you what the problem is with NTFS-3G :)

Here's the bug report and fix info:
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=249695

lmaurin
27th July 2007, 08:42 PM
if you have a router, you probably have a private LAN, and you can probably use static IP

you first have to disable the DHCP client, and enter manually the IP, netmask, gateway and DNS addresses

but i suppose that the 2.6.22.1-33.fc7 will be fixed soon

gthill
27th July 2007, 08:54 PM
Yes, ntfs-3g has failed too, but that will be updated soon enough. The previous one works so if you really need it you can boot your earlier kernel.
I don't have any problems with ip allocation on the first boot of kernel 33.
To set a static ip address with a router 192.168.1.1 would be something like this

ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.10 broadcast 192.168.1.255 netmask 255.255.255.0

But I would suggest either configuring you router to do that for you or do a search on ip configuration
first and know what you are doing. A good resource is Rute
http://linux.2038bug.com/rute-home.html
This is an awesome reference for most things linux
Download it, It's a free book.

chapter 25 for ip configuration and internet communication

NoSkill
27th July 2007, 09:03 PM
if you have a router, you probably have a private LAN, and you can probably use static IP

you first have to disable the DHCP client, and enter manually the IP, netmask, gateway and DNS addresses
Ah, OK... So I would have to put the modem into "Bridge" mode and have Fedora manage the connection (through PPP)?

but i suppose that the 2.6.22.1-33.fc7 will be fixed soon
I haven't seen a bug report yet but I think that is because the kernel was only put up in the "updates" repository in the last few hours. If I don't see a bug submission in the next few hours, then I might do it myself.

lmaurin
27th July 2007, 09:10 PM
Ah, OK... So I would have to put the modem into "Bridge" mode and have Fedora manage the connection (through PPP)?
if you don't have a router, it can be more complicated

But I would suggest either configuring you router to do that for you or do a search on ip configuration first and know what you are doing
well, my router acts as a DHCP server: the only solution i found was to use static IP

NoSkill
27th July 2007, 09:13 PM
Yes, ntfs-3g has failed too, but that will be updated soon enough. The previous one works so if you really need it you can boot your earlier kernel.
I don't have any problems with ip allocation on the first boot of kernel 33.
To set a static ip address with a router 192.168.1.1 would be something like this

ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.10 broadcast 192.168.1.255 netmask 255.255.255.0

Thank you for that info :)

But I would suggest either configuring you router to do that for you or do a search on ip configuration
first and know what you are doing. A good resource is Rute
http://linux.2038bug.com/rute-home.html
This is an awesome reference for most things linux
Download it, It's a free book.

chapter 25 for ip configuration and internet communication

Thank you for that link. I've downloaded the book and will have a read of it...

Cheers mate :D

gthill
27th July 2007, 09:16 PM
Log into your router and set it up as a dhcp server, probably under LAN settings or something like that.
Assign an ip address to your desktop according to its mac address and/or give it a range of ip addresses so it assigns one within the given range. There should be instructions on the web interface for your router.

NoSkill
27th July 2007, 09:24 PM
if you don't have a router, it can be more complicated
I think my modem has a router that acts as a DHCP server (Netcomm NB5 - does NAT, firewalling, and port-forwarding too). I did have it set up in Windows once as 'Bridged' and let Windows handle the connection, but I was sacrificing too much security doing it that way. And now I'm in Linux (noob for 6 months or so) some things are still "foreign" to me - so it's good for me to learn how to work around/fix these kinds of problems ;)

adrianx
27th July 2007, 09:24 PM
Well, I can tell you what the problem is with NTFS-3G :)

Here's the bug report and fix info:
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=249695
Thanks a lot for your reply. :)

NoSkill
27th July 2007, 09:35 PM
Log into your router and set it up as a dhcp server, probably under LAN settings or something like that.
Assign an ip address to your desktop according to its mac address and/or give it a range of ip addresses so it assigns one within the given range. There should be instructions on the web interface for your router.

Oh... Just had a look, It is setup as a DHCP server:

IP Address: 192.168.1.1
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 202.nnn.nnn.nnn (retrieved/assigned from ISP)
Host Name: (blank)
Domain: (blank)

Enable DHCP Server (Selected)
Start IP: 192.168.1.100
End IP: 192.168.1.149
Lease Time: Seconds 3600

Enable DHCP Relay (unselected)
Relay IP: (disabled - greyed out)

Server and Relay Off (unselected)

lmaurin
27th July 2007, 09:38 PM
I think my modem has a router that acts as a DHCP server (Netcomm NB5 - does NAT, firewalling, and port-forwarding too). I did have it set up in Windows once as 'Bridged' and let Windows handle the connection, but I was sacrificing too much security doing it that way. And now I'm in Linux (noob for 6 months or so) some things are still "foreign" to me - so it's good for me to learn how to work around/fix these kinds of problems ;)
well, if you use it in "bridge mode", i don't believe that its firewall protections are active

you'd better to go back in standard NAT mode, and configure it in DHCP server mode

but for this latest 2.6.22.1-33.fc7 kernel, even if your router acts as a DHCP server for your private LAN, you will still have the same error if your computer is in DHCP client mode (i have tested it on 4 different PCs today : the only solution - for me - was static IP)

NoSkill
28th July 2007, 03:58 AM
OK... I've done some more fiddling :rolleyes:

I tried setting the Network to not start at bootup. It will then progress through from the bootup to the desktop now. But once I'm in the desktop, it still won't "activate" the connection. It still sits there trying to determine the IP address until I cancel it.

I tried disconnecting/reconnecting the ethernet cable. Same result as above :(

Oh well, I'll continue using the "older" kernel until this is fixed.

edit: I suppose I better throw in my eth0 specs...
Intel 82547EI Gigabit Ethernet controller on the motherboard (which is an ASUS P4C800E-Deluxe).

hceylan
28th July 2007, 10:27 PM
Is there anyone actually has dhcp and 2.6.22.1-33 working fine out there

NoSkill
29th July 2007, 02:00 AM

There is a bug report (several actually) for this kernel. A new kernel will apparently be out soon. Here's one of the bug reports:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=249698
(Note reply #3 in that link)

bob_c_b
29th July 2007, 05:11 AM

Yea, been working fine for me since installed. Had to reboot a couple times to test some other stuff and no DHCP issues. What kind of NIC and what drivers are you using?

metalworm
29th July 2007, 05:14 AM
I do not have problem with dhcp with 2.6.22.1-33 because I turn off network startup at boot and use Network Manager instead (of course dhcp). However, I got the problem with time bug which have been reported as a bug. No one get this bug?

nwinkler
29th July 2007, 03:43 PM
I'm seeing the clock bug with the new kernel, and my et131x NIC can't get an IP address through DHCP. The WLAN card works fine, though.

drhilbert
30th July 2007, 10:29 AM
it seems that 2.6.22.1-41.fc7 from koji fixed this problem. Anybody have checked it out yet?

lapthorn
30th July 2007, 04:41 PM
I have tried the 1-47 kernel from koji and still have problemd with dhcp client :-(

hceylan
31st July 2007, 08:43 AM
I tried the 1-47 and all working fine (gnome clock and DHCP). My interfaces are selected as "do not activate on boot" and Network Manager brings the required one up with DHCP.

Hasan Ceylan

NoSkill
31st July 2007, 08:57 AM
I tried the 1-47...
My interfaces are selected as "do not activate on boot"
Yes this (sort of) works with 1-33, but it won't activate the network if you must have an IP address assigned to you from an external DHCP server.

Network Manager brings the required one up with DHCP.
But does it work if your IP address is assigned to you from an external DHCP server (for example, an ADSL modem/router)?

Iron_Mike
31st July 2007, 11:48 AM
The 1-33 and the 1-41 both worked for me using DHCP or STATIC so your mileage will vary....

NoSkill
1st August 2007, 06:47 AM
The 1-33 and the 1-41 both worked for me using DHCP or STATIC so your mileage will vary....

Thanks for replying, mate ;)

The 1-41 kernel was available to me this morning, so I thought I'd try it... SUCCESS! Yes, it works for me. It now acquires the eth0 IP address from my modem's DHCP server :)

Now all I need is for the NTFS automount at boot problem to be fixed so that I don't have to run in "permissive" mode, and for Livna to update their kmod-nvidia package for this kernel and I'll be back to square one - a happy chappy :D

Wayne
1st August 2007, 07:24 AM
Yeah, new 41 kernel boots fine for me too, but my USB memory stick still does not automount when plugged in. Rebooted with the device plugged and there were two USBDRIVE icons on my Gnome desktop. Now we're going from the ridiculous to the sublime :confused:

Wayne

NoSkill
1st August 2007, 08:02 AM
... my USB memory stick still does not automount when plugged in. Rebooted with the device plugged and there were two USBDRIVE icons on my Gnome desktop. Now we're going from the ridiculous to the sublime :confused:

Wayne
The automount for my USB key is working fine. I plug it in, the icon shows on the desktop and a moment later Gnome opens the file browser.

This may not be the cause, but have you tried setting SELinux to "permissive" mode for the system and rebooted? That might get automounting to work for you once your in the desktop, but I think it's a deeper problem than that (e.g: the two icons when booting with inserted USB key is another issue). I'll have a scout around later and see if there's a bug report somewhere for it.

I do feel your pain though. I was quite happy with updating my setup as the updates became available until these kernel and SELinux issues reared their ugly head. :(

Wayne
1st August 2007, 08:04 AM
No SELinux here :)

Will play with it some more though. USB digital camera loads fine still.

Wayne

NoSkill
1st August 2007, 08:15 AM
Actually, I just remembered... I had a similar problem a while back (in FC6) with "double icons" where I'd insert a CD/DVD and get two icons. Turned out to be that I had installed something that did automounting as well. I think it was automounting in the console as well as the desktop - so I'd get two icons when I booted up. I'm not sure, but it may have been a service that would run or I had to turn it off for a run-level less than 5 (something like that).

[edit: YAY! The kmod-nvidia package is available for 1-41. I just installed it, and seems to be working fine (thank you livna.org - oh, and Fedora). Certainly, my existing eth0 - DHCP problem has now gone and I can boot cleanly now... One more issue to go (the SELinux automount NTFS issue) :D ]

hceylan
1st August 2007, 11:41 AM
For those who need ntfs support for 1-41 kernel, I am using a self compiled rpm.
yo can get it from below address...

http://www.batoo.org/fuse-kmdl-2.6.22.1-41.fc7-2.7.0-3_7.fc7.i686.rpm

Hasan Ceylan