PDA

View Full Version : boot from floppy with minimal kernel

jainraje
27th July 2007, 04:39 PM
I'd like to create a minimal FC7 system that is bootable from a floppy disk and executes from RAM (target has 256MB). System should support: 1) serial port for debug and 2) ethernet port for NFS (loading kernel and/or running user space applications, and maybe debug as well.

Any pointers on the above items would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
--Rj

JN4OldSchool
27th July 2007, 06:20 PM
Did you see my post in the other thread? Let me tell you about my project. I want to create a minimal utility CD that has enough to run a bare bones XFCE desktop, contains Thunar, QTParted, K3b, abiword, gedit and a small handful of other apps. I want NO sound or network support. Idealy it would boot into VESA at 1280X1040 or so. Oh, has to be live, no HD install option. The idea is to get it to boot as fast as humanly possible on as many computers as posssible to be used as a recovery/maintanance tool. Well, to make a long story short, I have had this idea for years now, Knoppix is too big, I dont want a full fledged distro, yet Gparted live is still too basic. So along comes Revisor in F7. And I made a few trials. But Fedora is simply too bloated for this. It probably isnt what you want to use either. Let me suggest again, try the Linux from scratch project. This is the way for both of us to go, I just lack the time to get involved in something of this scope at the moment. My 2 anyway...

BTW, in case anyone is interested, I did create a live F7 XFCE version that contains the apps I mentioned plus FF all on 356MB. But that is about as small as you will get, even using dillo and taking out abiword wont gain much more.

jainraje
27th July 2007, 06:29 PM
FYI, my objective is to create a host/target development environment for learning purposes. Host would run the full FC7 (window managers, office/development applications, etc.) while target would be a minimal kernel with basic drivers (eth0, tty, fd, etc.) and a bash shell.

This is probably not the forum to post this message. I'm just getting familiar with the different forums, etc.

I appreciate your feedback/comments on this. I'll look into the Linux from scratch project.

Best,
--RJ