PDA

View Full Version : accidentally uninstalled kernel via yum fc7

FriedChips
27th July 2007, 12:46 PM
okay so last night I was trying to get the right kernel-devel package installed so I could install my ati drivers. typed in "yum --disablerepo fedora" and bam without asking any questions removed the kernel package along with about five other things. Now fedora is gone from my boot menu...... Why did this happen, I thought I was just going to disable that repository to be sure that my kernel-devel package was installed from updates???? Next question how the hell do I fix it???

leigh123linux
27th July 2007, 01:01 PM
okay so last night I was trying to get the right kernel-devel package installed so I could install my ati drivers. typed in "yum --disablerepo fedora" and bam without asking any questions removed the kernel package along with about five other things. Now fedora is gone from my boot menu...... Why did this happen, I thought I was just going to disable that repository to be sure that my kernel-devel package was installed from updates???? Next question how the hell do I fix it???

Use the install DVD to preform a upgrade install

FriedChips
27th July 2007, 01:25 PM
okay, I think I can handle that but why did disabling that repo uninstall those things?? Any Idea?
Thanks FriedChips

leigh123linux
27th July 2007, 01:28 PM
okay, I think I can handle that but why did disabling that repo uninstall those things?? Any Idea?
Thanks FriedChips

Without seeing the output from the yum command used I wouldn't know

JN4OldSchool
27th July 2007, 01:46 PM
You really dont need to disable any repos though, not unless you are mixing Livna and Fresh. But the only "extra" repo you would most likely need is Livna. Now I have also included Didier and Adobe but I leave them enabled too, they wont conflict with anything. I guess you would have to decide if you wanted testing or not and if so you would enable those and disable the base repos.

FriedChips
27th July 2007, 02:01 PM
Okay, thanks much for your input guys. I will do the upgrade install when I get back from Indiana this weekend. I really like linux/fedora but it definetely seems there is still much more for me to learn. I have been messing with it for like 6 months now, and I think I'm just scratching the surface of possibilities. I have re-installed a few times, not because I didn't think it was fixable, cuz I'm sure it was but because I have no idea how to fix it sometimes.

JN4OldSchool
27th July 2007, 02:10 PM
Okay, thanks much for your input guys. I will do the upgrade install when I get back from Indiana this weekend. I really like linux/fedora but it definetely seems there is still much more for me to learn. I have been messing with it for like 6 months now, and I think I'm just scratching the surface of possibilities. I have re-installed a few times, not because I didn't think it was fixable, cuz I'm sure it was but because I have no idea how to fix it sometimes.

lol, been there! Just between us, even now it is usually easier to just reinstall than fight an unknown problem for weeks. It all depends on which computer and if I feel like learning that lesson I guess. Just hang in there and dont take it too seriously. The more you screw up and the more you install the better you get.

marko
27th July 2007, 02:54 PM
Thanks FriedChips

Didn't it ask for a "y/N" for permission to do the operation?, I thought it
always did that if you skip the "-y" option and the operation is destructive
(files are removed or changed). If it did ask y/N wasn't the kernel listed on
the remove set?

Mark

FriedChips
28th July 2007, 03:03 AM
nope it never asked yes or no... but I don't understand why it wanted to remove anything anyway.... I just issued that command to disable a repo. @ JN4, thanks for the encouragement, I am excited about learning a new system. Even more excited about dropping winblows... It's the in between that is a little hard to manage, but I think it will work out to my advantage in the end

marko
28th July 2007, 03:14 AM
I was noticing you dropped the "=" on the disablerepo=
I'm guessing that was a typo in your post or did you really
not use the "=" It's possible some how it got confused but
probably this

yum --disablerepo fedora

works the same as

yum --disablerepo=fedora

i.e. it's probably not that picky to insist the "=" is there
even though the man page shows it should be.

Another question, isn't

yum --disablerepo fedora

a meaningless yum command statement? Yum needs there
to be a command, you didn't have a command after fedora.
Does yum have a default if you don't have a command?
But even if it does it's not good for it to up and do something
without even the y/N prompt.

Mark

FriedChips
28th July 2007, 03:51 PM
sorry yes the command I entered was:
yum --disablerepo=fedora

hmmm. I have see this type of command given on how to pages. You may be correct in thinking it has some default command, if so surely it includes the -y argument.