PDA

View Full Version : kernel-2.6.22.1-27 and huawei e220 usb modem

thisisme
26th July 2007, 06:43 PM
Hi guys

I "yum update"-d my kernel a few hours ago to 2.6.22.1-27 while grabbing some nvidia drivers from atrpms and after a reboot to use the new kernel my usb modem is now being recognised as just usb storage and no device node is being created for it, which means its no more than a little plastic trinket :(

It still works well under my previous kernel version (2.6.21-1.3194)...

Has anyone else had this happen? :confused:

When googling it I noticed something in the French and Italian Fedora communities but do not know if this is something similar....

olenb
26th July 2007, 08:07 PM
I don't have a modem like this, but I do have a suggestion.
Do an rmmod on the usb storage module. (Can get name from lsmod).
Then modprobe X, where X is the name of the driver for the usb modem that works on the old kernel. If it finds the module, I would think your modem would work again.
If it can't find that module, then maybe you need to rebuild the module.

thisisme
26th July 2007, 08:18 PM
Thanks olenb

I didn't think of that as I was in " they broke some thing that didn't need fixing" state of mind..

Just for the record the old driver was the option.x module that didn't need compiling as the driver is/was built into the kernel...

will give it a whirl as this was how they needed to load the device prior to the 2.6.15.x generation redhat kernels.... usually I'm all for retro-coolness, but surely this could not have been the intention here....