PDA

View Full Version : Xorg

robghealey
25th July 2007, 09:22 PM
I am running F7 with full updates. I have I have a Sony Trinitron Multiscan 420GS monitor! Most of the time, Xorg does not get the correct driver for my monitor! Once in awhile it will get the correct driver and let me select 1024x768 screen resolution...

Is there a way for me to hard code the monitor into the Xorg configuration files without X wanting to change it all the time and get it wrong for the most part?

My graphics card is: Intel Corporation 82845G/GL/{Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device...

Thanks for the help...
Rob

JN4OldSchool
25th July 2007, 09:26 PM
You can lock your xorg.conf with chattr +i

su
(root password)
chattr +i /etc/X11/xorg.conf

This will not let anyone change it, including root or the computer. To unlock it use chattr -i.

robghealey
25th July 2007, 10:10 PM
Will there be any negative effects to my system by doing so?

JN4OldSchool
25th July 2007, 10:22 PM
Nope. You will just have to remember to unlock it if you ever want to edit it. Make sure you remember the command

Hlingler
25th July 2007, 10:29 PM
Hello:

JN4OldSchool: after reading "man chattr", I gather that "chattr -i /etc/X11/xorg.conf" will unlock it, correct?

Thanx,
V

robghealey
25th July 2007, 10:38 PM
JN4Oldschool: Thanks for the help, and I appreciate your quick responses.

JN4OldSchool
25th July 2007, 10:40 PM
Hello:

JN4OldSchool: after reading "man chattr", I gather that "chattr -i /etc/X11/xorg.conf" will unlock it, correct?

Thanx,
V

Yessir. I had to use this myself a while ago as xorg kept changing my driver from nvidia back to nv. I found out later I needed to turn the nv service off and that cured it. My stupidity. I assume this situation is the same and though this isnt the cure it is a quick fix. But the OP should probably try to find the source of the problem.