PDA

View Full Version : help rebuliding system

tsr-nc
25th July 2007, 08:13 PM
i was wondering if anybody could help me make a script to download all the srpms that i had installed and then build them. or know of a program that can do this.

lazlow
25th July 2007, 11:13 PM
One of the big advantages of package systems is that one does not need to compile stuff. Is there a particular reason you want to recompile everything? You will not see any real speed increase.

I guess I would just go to the repo and ctrl-shift select all the srpms.

tsr-nc
26th July 2007, 05:24 PM
that would install all applications in the repo i just what the ones in use by my system really only the kernel, X, and a few others will make any difference but i might as well do them all.As for the reason i am trying to create a demo pc optimized in every way possible. i know it might only give me a few extra cpu cycles but thats enough to make it worth it.

lazlow
26th July 2007, 05:39 PM
No, ctrl-shift just selects the ones you click. Alt-shift selects the list between clicks.

Unless you change something in the rpm you are going to gain 0 (zero).

tsr-nc
26th July 2007, 05:50 PM
half the packages are i386 how could recompiling them for x64 and configured for my processor not make some difference. if so what is the point with srpms.

lazlow
26th July 2007, 05:55 PM
As I recall the spec file determines how the rpm is built. If you do not change the spec file (it is in the srpm) it will compile exactly the same as the bin rpm.

tsr-nc
26th July 2007, 06:15 PM
in gentoo part of the package management system was a option to compile or download the bin and you could select by group or by package is there no easy way to do that in fedora.

lazlow
26th July 2007, 06:28 PM
Probably 90% of the people using Fedora do not compile anything. So no, to the autocompile thing(as far as I know).

Assuming that you are running gnome look at: Applications->Add/Remove Software. It lists things in groups