PDA

View Full Version : Fedora 7 won't boot

kafros
25th July 2007, 05:55 PM
i was trying unsuccessfully to get the nvidia driver to work and after a reboot fedora won't load...i get a black screen and the monitor turns itself off and the only thing i can do is reset my computer(manually from the reset button on the case not with ctrl alt del or sth like that...) i tried reinstalling fedora but couldn't do it..it asked me where are the packages i wanted to install (i have fedora on dvd) so i chose the cdrom but it said it didn't find anything.. so reinstalling fedora didn't work either..is there anything i could do?(i'd love to find a solution that doesn't envolve reinstalling fedora..but if i must..i'll do..!

kafros
26th July 2007, 07:53 PM
anyone?i still can't find a solution :(

olenb
26th July 2007, 07:58 PM
can you get to text based terminal by typing Ctrl-Alt-F2
If so, you should be able to run system-config-display, or manually edit your xorg to not use the nvidia driver.
If you put a 'S' option on the grub boot parameters command line you will get to text terminal, and be given a shell. You have to hit an 'e' on the boot menu to edit this command line. It will boot the computer into single user mode for maintenance

kafros
5th August 2007, 11:01 AM
no unfortunately i can't get into the text based terminal :(
i tried what you told me on the grub but couldn't do it... maybe i didn't do it right i don't know.... :(
any other ideas please?

olenb
6th August 2007, 09:48 PM
You could boot into rescue mode from the install CD, then change the default run level to be a 2 or a 3, something that doesn't automatically start X. Once you change it, reboot from the hard disk into this runlevel, and try the system-config-display.

kafros
7th August 2007, 01:03 AM
i tried reinstalling fedora again...this time it started the installation normally but after i installed i had problems with the x server and now i'm trying to reinstall again cuz it doesn't let me do anything with it...why do i have so many probs :S:S:S