PDA

View Full Version : How to boot linux using winXP boot menu ?

Asel
25th July 2007, 02:08 PM
Hi everybody, I want to install linux(FC) with my system already have winxp . But I want when my PC boot showing winXP boot menu and select if winXP or Linux . Exactly I didn't want to see Grub or lilo boot menu .

Thank you in advance .

Janl
25th July 2007, 05:02 PM
I've used the following guide in the past for doing pretty much what you are asking for. Windows/Linux dual-boot guide (http://www.geocities.com/epark/linux/grub-w2k-HOWTO.html)

bodhi.zazen
25th July 2007, 11:14 PM
Hi everybody, I want to install linux(FC) with my system already have winxp . But I want when my PC boot showing winXP boot menu and select if winXP or Linux . Exactly I didn't want to see Grub or lilo boot menu .

Thank you in advance .

You mean you want to use the windows boot loader to boot both Windows and Fedora (as an alternate to grub or lilo) ?

http://www.tprthai.net/bootmgr.htm

You will see the Fedora grub menu ...

If it is working you can then configure grub and shorten the timeout ...

davascript
25th July 2007, 11:54 PM
Why do you want to use the WINXp loader and not grub? I can't find a reason myself.

davascript
25th July 2007, 11:54 PM
Why do you want to use the WinXP loader and not grub? I can't find a reason myself.

Asel
26th July 2007, 02:31 PM
Thank you everybody , I will try the links you mentioned :cool: .

Why do you want to use the WinXP loader and not grub? I can't find a reason myself.

I feel more comfortable with Windows' boot manager .that is all :)

JN4OldSchool
26th July 2007, 02:41 PM
One thing to consider dude, Fedora changes the kernel frequently. Unless you are using the Fedora grub either in the MBR or in /boot you will have to manually edit this each time. It is a lot of work for nothing. Much easier to just let grub take over the MBR realizing that if you ever want to dump Linux you will just need to reinstall the windows bootloader. This is simple enough though.

edit: Of course using the windows bootloader might still require the fedora grub in /boot. If this is the case then my objection is moot.

Janl
6th August 2007, 04:10 PM
The way I have things setup on my machine is I have grub installed to a partition (can either be /boot or simply the / partition).

I basically just have the NTLoader hand the boot process over to grub if I select the Linux option. This way grub keeps the kernel entries up to date, and i don't have to worry about dealing with the MBR for Windows.

lmo
6th August 2007, 08:33 PM
You can have the MRB bootstrap hand control over to the windows boot loader first or to grub's boot loader first. Either way can work equally effectively and reliably. It is a matter of preference which one you want to see first. When you want to boot windows, you cannot avoid seeing the windows boot loader. When you want to boot grub, you cannot avoid seeing the grub boot loader. In most cases, it is more difficult to get it set up to show the windows boot loader first. In some cases, it is difficult (but possible) to set it up so that both of them work.

Once it is set up so that both of them work, you do not need to install either grub or windows "fixmbr" again ... You just edit grub.conf and/or boot.ini.

Asel
8th August 2007, 04:23 AM
Ok , thank you everybody , I have changed my mind , I will use grub .