PDA

View Full Version : Pentium III 550Mhz, Ram 192Mb, is this enough for Fedora 7 ?

loiphp
24th July 2007, 06:22 AM
I had an old Pentium III 550Mhz, 192Mb Ram, 20G HDD, 4Mb AGP, Soundcard creative-live-value.
I don't know if my system is available to Fedora 7 or not.
any suggestion ? which Linux can I use ?
I only want to build a local web server , and play music.

thanks for help. :)

loiphp
24th July 2007, 06:27 AM
uh, by the way, on my HDD, there are 4 partitions, all of them are in NTFS, I'm using windows2000pro.
can I use Linux without loosing existing data on 3 partitions ?

tsorvoja
24th July 2007, 06:36 AM
P3 and 192MB of RAM..? You might want test the HW configuration with LiveCD first to check the performance. But if you have a slow CD-ROM, F7 might be slower than normal because then the CD-ROM is slowing down the system.

And yes you can keep the data on other 3 partitions. I would remove one of partitions (unpartitioned space) and let the F7 installer install linux in that unpartitioned space. That way all needed partitions (/swap etc.) comes automatically... Remember to install ntfs-3g after installation to have access to ntfs-partitions.

I've installed FC6 in P2 400MHz with 192MB of RAM and it ran quite nicely. ;)

loiphp
24th July 2007, 07:24 AM
maybe, my old system is not available to F7.
I have to install F5. Is it better ?
What about other distributions ?

tsorvoja
24th July 2007, 07:44 AM
I would stick with F7, because basically the software is the same (though updated) and there's no more updates available for FC5 to keep the system secure. Other distros I've tried was DSL (for my old 486) and CentOS for server environments. DSL good for older hardware (small but handy) and CentOS is RHEL clone. Stable and good for servers, but lacks some software to be decent for desktop usage (just my opinion).

I would stick with fedora, but if you want to try other distros, try Ubuntu. I've heard that they've also made a good job gathering that distro. Everything should work quite out-of-the-box.

John the train
24th July 2007, 08:38 AM
I had FC6 running in a lightweight form on a lower spec machine, and it ran OK, but no speed-burner. If you want to test other distros there are a lot of live CD's about, personally I'd suggest looking at the XFCE desktop, as it's less resource heavy than Gnome. A couple you might look at are Xubuntu, SAM ( derived from PClinux, with XFCE ) or the community version of Linux Mint -again, built with XFCE. Good hunting.

OralDeckard
26th July 2007, 01:16 AM
If you test it with a live CD to check performance you will find that it is too slow, no matter whether you have a slow CD or not. The fact that it is running from a CD says it will run very slow.

192 MB is very little RAM. I have run F7 on a 500MB P3 and it did fair, but it had a half gig if RAM. Two 256 MB PC-100s only costs about $50.

OralDeckard
26th July 2007, 01:24 AM
Now I remember better. It didn't have half a gig, but only 256 MB. I removed the HD from a 3200 Athlon system and put it in the P3 with 256, and it fired up and ran fairly well. Therefore 192 might be enough.

Dan
26th July 2007, 01:34 AM
192 is a little light, but it will run. However, just for kicks, try out Vector Linux, Puppy Linux, DSL-N or Knoppix. The last three are micro sized but work very well on modest hardware.

Although I don't particularly appreciate the bait and switch tactics and other games they are playing this time around, you might consider elive as well.

Dan

pparks1
26th July 2007, 02:32 AM
i think the minimal requirements for a desktop GUI (Gnome or KDE) is 256MB. Maybe with a lighter weight desktop you could get away with less ram.

loiphp
29th July 2007, 03:51 AM
Investing too much in old machine is not good.

I want to use this old machine to study linux, I'm beginer now :D

I heard that Fedora does automatically most tasks, it supports old hardware, and it has standard interface.
With F5 or F6 , I guess many programs will run slowly, but I only need a LAMP system, and play music.

loiphp
29th July 2007, 04:00 AM
I used to intall RedHat 7 with windows 2000pro on this machine.
When I used windows, it ran very slowly and it said that the Linux partition is not formatted.
I had to remove the Linux, and format the partition. Then windows ran well again.
I don't know if it happens again when I install winXp and F6 on this machine.

Firewing1
29th July 2007, 05:40 AM
My guess is that it will run, but slowly. Once it's installed, try disabling as many features as possible (eg beagle, panel applets, disable unused services) to free up RAM.
Firewing1

AlFrugal
30th July 2007, 02:50 AM
I run Fedora 7 with KDE on a seven-year old Dell Dimension 4100. CPU is a P-III 733 MHz. 128 MB RAM. HDD1 (original) 10 GB. HDD2 (added) 100 GB.

Prior to F7, I ran FC5 on the same system since July 2006.

With 128 MB RAM, I was forced to do a text-mode install. This did not allow me to select some of the packages that were on the installation media.

Performance is sluggish at times, but I'm very satisfied.

Wayne
30th July 2007, 02:56 AM
192 is a little light, but it will run. However, just for kicks, try out Vector Linux, Puppy Linux, DSL-N or Knoppix. The last three are micro sized but work very well on modest hardware.

Although I don't particularly appreciate the bait and switch tactics and other games they are playing this time around, you might consider elive as well.

Dan

Don't forget Zenwalk. There's a screenshot in the Gallery.

Wayne

Dan
30th July 2007, 03:00 AM
Evening, Wayne.

I didn't have such good luck with Zenwalk. Had issues with Networking and wireless.

Wayne
30th July 2007, 03:06 AM
Evening, Wayne.

I didn't have such good luck with Zenwalk. Had issues with Networking and wireless.

Hi Dan,

I tried it once several month's ago on an old IBM lappie and had no problems with it.

How's the move coming along? I'm up to my eyes recently with 2 building companies wanting us to sign a contract to build a house. One offered us big discounts if we signed by the end of the month, but we haven't had the estimate from the second yet (Will get it Thursday) Obviously, it's the end of the quarter for that one company so they want us to sign to get their figures up. That and what we want is unusual, they've never built a house with a pub on the ground (first) floor, so they can add it to their portfolio.

Wayne

Dan
30th July 2007, 03:41 AM
Nice! If I ever get there, I'll have a look at the downstairs first! <..:p..>

The move is being a typical move. I'm bone tired, the garage hasn't been touched, both Pickups are dying, we're three days out ... and I'm sitting in the corner typing on my knees.

Situation normal. Murphy is in charge! <..:)..>

Dan

Wayne
30th July 2007, 03:43 AM
Ha! You can always rely on Murphy! I need to get away from things, give me a shout if you need help :)

Wayne

Dan
30th July 2007, 03:53 AM
Hmmm.

Can you drive an 18,000lb lorry?

<..:p..>

Dan

Wayne
30th July 2007, 04:01 AM
Hmmm.

Can you drive an 18,000lb lorry?

<..:p..>

Dan

I thought you guys said 'truck' not 'lorry' :D

I haven't driven in years, do they still have manual transmission? I can't bear that new-fangled automatic stuff!

I was just looking for an excuse to get away. We had thunderstorms and heavy rain yesterday and more of the same today! It's raining cats and dogs right now :eek:

Wayne

Dan
30th July 2007, 04:14 AM
Pure salesmanship!

Just trying to make it more familiar, like a grand adventure -- instead of the hot sweaty chore it's going to be. Strictly stick shift, don't care for an automatic in a truck of any size. Not enough control, especially in mountainous country

loiphp
2nd August 2007, 04:54 PM
thanks, everybody.
I'll use puppy linux.