PDA

View Full Version : F 7 top 10 post-install packages

lphilosophy
24th July 2007, 06:17 AM
I bet there's a few Fedora developers out there reading... let's provide them with some data so they can install more useful packages by default

browsing through /var/log/yum.log I see the packages I first installed, from the Fedora repository:
Thunderbird
SCIM related packages (I type in Japanese, before learning how to set-up alternate language text entry correctly) scim-gtk
nautilus-open-terminal
grace (scientific plotting program)
cmake, qt4, qt4-devel (so I can build the current version of Avogadro, chemistry viewing application)
compat-gcc-34-g77 (g77, "probably" the most widely used fortran compiler on earth, according to the gfortran wiki)
... to be continued (___Your_entry_here___)

----------

A separate list, packages not in fedora repository. Kindly list which repo you got it from.
GL graphics, required for Desktop effects. For me kmod-nvidia (& dependencies) from livna
flash-plugin, (originally from macromedia.mplug.org flash.repo, now from adobe)
... ? maybe mplayer, dunno yet.. (___Your_entry_here___)

PS I searched, but couldn't find an analogous thread already

robatino
24th July 2007, 08:41 AM
Thunderbird should definitely be on the install DVD, which was only about 2/3 full in F7 (and significantly smaller than that for FC6), though I understand if they choose not to install it by default. BTW, macromedia.mplug.org is closing down and flash-plugin now comes directly from Adobe - here's the repo config RPM:

http://linuxdownload.adobe.com/adobe-release/adobe-release-1.0-0.noarch.rpm

CD-RW
24th July 2007, 08:46 AM
Midnight Commander should be on every Linux distro by default, and also on the rescue CD as well :-)

lphilosophy
24th July 2007, 09:28 AM
BTW, macromedia.mplug.org is closing down and flash-plugin now comes directly from Adobe - here's the repo config RPM:

http://linuxdownload.adobe.com/adobe-release/adobe-release-1.0-0.noarch.rpm
Thanks for pointing that out. The adobe repo was installed (and enabled) when I grabbed the version at mplug.org ... I'll edit the OP