PDA

View Full Version : Changing screen resolution in terminal

mickygor
24th July 2007, 12:25 AM
Is it possible to do this? I have installed the nVidia drivers but for some reason they only function properly at the resolution 1152x864. I have had to find this out the hard way, as I changed to 1024x768 (also experienced a problem in 2048x1536 but it was still usable) and the screen flickers so much that, while I can navigate to the resolutions panel with great difficulty, I cannot place the cursor on either the tab for choosing a resolution, or the button to apply the change. I'm confident that I could open a terminal window (I'm unaware as to a shortcut to do this?) and if it's possible, I would like to set the resolution from the terminal back to 1152x864. If so, could you please tell me how to go about doing this?

danwaineo
24th July 2007, 02:36 AM
try:

$ xrandr -s 1152x864

UnFleshed One
24th July 2007, 03:08 AM
If all else fails, just boot into single user mode and edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf to lock down working resolution.

mickygor
24th July 2007, 02:58 PM
Well the resolution issue changed, 1024x768 stopped flickering quite so bad and I managed to get to the display panel to try and change resolution, but for some reason 1024x768 is now the highest resolution that the drivers are providing, and when I set it to 800x600 the flickering got bad again. I've managed to fall back onto the default nvidia driverset, by using a different kernel that X could not boot the new drivers from, so now I can change things a lot easier.

Just to clarify, this is my first attempt at setting up/using a Linux distro, so I know very little as to what I am doing. Is there any information needed?