PDA

View Full Version : YUM comes in bubbles

saimu0
21st July 2007, 12:27 AM
Im really really new to fedora ~ i mean like 3 weeks if that (was on ubuntu and suse before that) and I LOVE fedora, i have it looking like the offspring of bubbles and OSX and i love it..
its mine..

BUT one question im not sure how to search for this because i dont know what i need to look for...

When on ubuntu the installation package will let you search LOADS of packages, but on fedora i have VERY VERY few. hence i cant play MP3 or videos cant get the software i want and so on...

It might be called dependancies or repository??? and i dont have good ones maybe? but i dont know..
how can i change this???

and how good is yum? Thanks!!!

Sam (BTW my mac using mates and windows using mates are HATING me cos i have MY OWN desktop!!!!! its so unique!)

glennzo
21st July 2007, 01:10 AM
Saimu0, short of telling you how to install everything you need to get media working I'll point you in the right direction. http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-f7.html is Mauriat Miranda's site for Fedora 7 setup / config. There's a wealth of info there. I use it as do many of the forum members. There's also Fedora Solved, Fedora Unity, Fedora Mobile, etc. A world of help and info. When you go to Mauriat's site look at configuring yum. That will get you a good 3rd party repo that will jump start your journey.

shadowwyvern
21st July 2007, 01:15 AM
You are correct, you don't have the "good" repositories (people will debate the meaning of good). The Fedora FAQ (http://www.fedorafaq.org/) has instructions on how to mkae many important tasks possible, including video and MP3 playback. Once you have installed the repositories as directed in the sections, you should be able to find more software by searchign for it in the Add/Remove Software tool (or through yum itsself).

glennzo
21st July 2007, 01:30 AM
Actually, man yum would be helpful to you.
yum install xyz
yum check-update
yum update
yum list available

RPM is a good tool also. It can tell you if something is installed.
rpm -q packagename
rpm -qa packagename

So check man rpm also